Default OSX installation - Is my Macbook visible over WiFi and bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mc Mac, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Mc Mac macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've had my first mac (a 13" macbook pro) for a week, have never used wifi or bluetooth before, and have two security questions..

When installing OSX I connected to my wired ethernet router and went through the account setup giving my full real name, full address, email etc. and my first name as the short name. I gave accurate details thinking this was for live online registration with apple. I then found that my computer name was set as "<firstname> <surname>'s MacBook Pro" and it was all only for the admin account setup on the machine.

I've been using it for a week like this and I just found that AirPort was enabled by default and I can see all my neighbours listed as wifi hotspots. This now worries me, could my neighbours also see my computer name on their wifi lists as "<firstname> <surname>'s MacBook Pro"? If so this is telling everyone in the area that I have a Macbook Pro and they could find my address in the telephone directory from my surname!

I have the Internet Sharing options disabled (the default) so I guess knowone could logon to my computer and use it, but if my full name is on their wifi lists it's a risky default configuration. I've now changed the computer name and disabled AirPort.

Also, I want to use a bluetooth printer, keyboard, mouse and camera. If I enable bluetooth on the MacBook how will it show-up on neighbours machines?

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

Wifi is not a Problem, they can only see your Routers Name and not your computer name! (when you have internet sharing disabled)

when you router is using WEP or WPA encryption(use WPA, its more secure) they cannot connect to your network, thus they are not able to see your computers name, if you dont need Wifi just turn off Airport....

For Bluetooth:

System Preferences---> Bluetooth --> Uncheck "Discoverable" nobody will be able to see your computers name also, bluetooth is limited to like ... 10m... just FYI