Default PHP & Apache OR xampp and co.?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macsymacker, Dec 29, 2011.

1. macsymacker macrumors member

hello,

I currently modified the current apache and php installation which comes with lion to use for local development. it seems to work just fine.

however I wonder if Ishall go for xampp or such alternatives instead? are there any advantages to it?

thank you!

2. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

There's certainly a school of thought that dictates you should leave the system installed apache/php/mysql/perl etc installs alone and install your own from source or use a sandbox install like xampp, mamp etc.

You'll have more control over your development configuration and you don't have to worry if Apple pushes out updates that may break your custom config.

One thing I would say is if you are using a sandbox install, make sure you set the document root outside of the default sandbox locations as they tend to be inside the sandbox application directory. If you get a sandbox update, you'll typically copy over the new application into your application folder which will overwrite all your precious web server files!

4. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thank you for this insightful review and explanation.

I have one more question.

Mysql when downloaded separately takes about 450 mbs of disk space whilst XAMPP which comes with mysql takes half that. How is this possible?