default player keepers on reverting to from mediaplayer x to quicktime mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ckar, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Ckar, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

Ckar macrumors member

This happens when I watch a new video file and then I have to right click and get info and reselect media player x and click on use this player always. It is getting annoying. Is there a way to permanently get every video file to open with mediaplayer x?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's a little harder with video files (I assume you're talking about shows/movies, not movies you created yourself.) Because there are so many different codecs and types out there just selecting one file to always open with... likely won't work. Speaking from personal experience here I just drag everything into VLC to avoid having to deal with this.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You need to Get Info for the file in Finder and select Change All... for this association to become global. Otherwise it will only be a per-file association.

Attached Files:

4. lindawba macrumors newbie

Changing default for music

Hi
    I searched google to find out how to make QuickTime my default for playing music as opening everything with iTunes automatically adds songs to my library which I don't necessarily want.

I have followed the instructions but for some unknown reason I do not have the option "open with" on my list.

Is there another way of making QuickTime my default or do I have to stick with iTunes?

Thanks

Linda