default "Print" settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dougshaffer, Mar 24, 2009.

1. dougshaffer macrumors newbie

Hi -

We recently purchased a Ricoh color-laser multi-function device that prints in color and black/white. Under "Printer Features/Color Mode" within the Print dialog, I can select "Black and White" or "Color" (the default is "Color"). I know how to use 'Presets' within the Print dialog to create a preset that automatically uses the "Black and White" mode.

In order to avoid accidently using color toner, I would like to be able to have the Print command AUTOMATICALLY default to this "Black and White" mode. (I.E., I would like for "Black and White" to be the default under "Printer Features / Color Mode".

Is this possible?

To clarify, I have done a 'Save As' under the Presets tab which allows me to save settings under a preset. The problem is that I want it to default to a particular preset EVERY TIME I select the Print command. The way it is happening now, the Preset defaults to what ever it was the last time I printed.

Thanks -

iMac - aluminum - OSX 10.5.6

2. RoninXI macrumors regular

I made a preset and saved it. After using it, it started coming up that preset by default now so I am not sure why it isn't doing so for you:confused: I have seen on other sites that if that does not work choose that preset and use it, next time choose "last used settings" and it should stick then.

NOTE: I did actually have to print something with the preset before it would stay default each time I opened it.

3. dougshaffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I am able to make it behave as you are describing. However, I want the same preset to come up EVERY TIME I use the Print command. For example, let's say I create "Preset A" and "Preset B". If I use "Preset A", then send a print, the next time I select the Print command, "Preset A" is comes up. But if I use "Preset B" then send a print, "Preset B" will come up the next time I print. I want "Preset A" to ALWAYS come up, no matter what previous preset was selected. Does that make sense?

Thanks -

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

When I look at my print dialogue, in the preset area I can choose "standard" OR "last used settings". Are you not getting the "standard" as a choice? If you do, can you save your BW setting to "standard"?

5. dougshaffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply -

Yes, my B/W settings remain for use the next time I print if I am using the "Standard" preset.

But if I decide that I need to make a color print and I change the settings accordingly (keeping the Standard preset selected), then I make the print, the next time I use the Print command, the Standard preset will retain the previously used color settings.

I want to be able to change presets, settings - anything that can be tweaked in the Print command - then have it so that the next time I use the Print command, it AUTOMATICALLY switches back my Black and White preset.

I'm starting to realize that just describing what I want to happen is quite difficult...! Thanks for your patience.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Have you change it in the printer utility instead of within the application?

7. dougshaffer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by "printer utility". I remember one in OS 9, but not OSX. Thanks.

8. RoninXI macrumors regular

I didn't think you could make it go to a default all the time. I only know of it keeping the last used preset.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In osx,
    spotlight: PRINTER

jeez