Default Recommendation for a good set of 2.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zambie, Nov 26, 2008.

1. zambie macrumors newbie

edit: could a moderator kindly edit the Subject line of the thread by deleting "default". Thanks
    I'm looking for a good sounding 2.1 system for my laptop (macbookpro)

What I've demo'd so far -
    Bose Companion 3 Series 2.1 system - had a demo of it and was quite impressed with the sound quality
    Logitech z4 - went to a friends place and did a demo with it with the same songs that i did with the bose demo... found it average

what i've checked online and find interesting -
    Logitech z2300 - initially found this interesting, until i came across reviews of klipsch promedia gmx series and ifi series
    klipsch promedia gmx 2.1 - seen a number of good reviews, some comparing it to the bose companion 3
    klipsch ifi - seen a number of great reviews online, a lot stating that it blows the bose companion 3 away.

what i listen to : predominantly mp3's ripped at 192kbps VBR or higher or 256/320kbps normal rip. type of music: predominantly heavy/doom/death/black metal, accoustic metal, accoustic music in general, some pop, trance dance numbers, lots of '80's rock.
    i have my music stored in a macbookpro and it has an "optical audio out".

So taking all of these individually into consideration, could you suggest which speakers you'ld recommend and why? Also, what is the advantage of optical out and which of the following speaker systems would be able to support it..
    Also, are the klipsch's as good as a lot of the reviews going around are stating? Any thoughts? What of the Bose & Logitech's?

Sorry for the labrynthine post.. just trying to get all my thoughts crammed up so that you know where i stand

2. QUiKSR20 macrumors member

QUiKSR20

If you want good sounding speakers to put on your desk and connect to your computer " I wouldnt wanna call them computer speakers but they are "

Go with Audioengine A2's Just read the reviews below :
    http://www.americantechpushers.com/audioengine2/reviews.html

Heres a full review : http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/index.html

[​IMG]

For not having a sub they sound awesome and you wont find a better speaker for the money.
    These little guys are handmade and use 0 off the shelf parts.

$199

3. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Do 2.1 sound better then 5.1 for music and gaming?

4. QUiKSR20 macrumors member

QUiKSR20

I never really felt the need for 5.1 on my PC I can goto my living room for that.

But some may prefer 5.1 for me stereo is fine when im sitting on my PC listening to tunes.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Go to a concert. Audio quality is much better than any old speaker set.

6. hmai18 macrumors 6502

7. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

:Dhttp://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/computer_speakers/music_monitor/index.jsp

Personally,
    These were the best I have ever heard for computers.
    They are compact about 4~5" tall, it goes spousally well with our MB's/iMacs/Pros...

They are not 2.1 but rather 2.0 but if heard you'd swear there is a .1 unit hidden somewhere. They are also very crisp considering it is from B... it was a surprise.

It sounds to me that you would mainly use them for music... Try them! If I was a millionaire I'd guarantee your money back. :D

Only draw back: $$$, but I think they are worth it.
    ;)

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Bose are terrible for the money. Overpriced and under-specced.

I second the recommendation of the Audioengine 2. They're an excellent set of powered speakers—exceedingly musical. They can be supplemented by the S8 subwoofer if you so desire, but they're plenty powerful on their own. Thoroughly impressive.

9. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

I don't think they are terrible but it's all relative, I guess...
    & we never know what their specs are. they just say it's "proprietary..."

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Not that they're flat-out terrible speakers, just that for that amount of money, Audioengine's next model up, the A5, would clearly be a dramatically better powered speaker in every way.

Bose doesn't make musical speakers, they make speakers that appeal to the mass market—which is to say, loud and too much bass. Their speakers tend to have little sense of timing or soundstage. I dunno, maybe it's a perception thing. To each their own! :eek:

11. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I'm desperately trying to get hold of Swan M10s in the UK. Think I'm going to be importing from USA... Fun fun fun. :p

12. XianPalin macrumors 6502

I have these Klipsch speakers and I've been extremely happy with them. The only irritating thing is that the power switch is on the back of the subwoofer, at least with the version I have, though if you leave your speakers on all the time then it's not an issue at all. I was looking at the Bose speakers before I bought these, but in person they sounded terrible.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Seconded - probably the best 2.1's you are going to find

Seconded

Check out some monitors a pair of Behringer B2031a's will be much better sounding than anything you are mentioning, even without the subwoofer. I don't recommend the AudioEngine's, as like the Bose, they are really overpriced (not as much though). But, compared with actual monitor's spending a hundred dollars more will double your sound quality.

14. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Those Swan M10's look interesting, I think I may look into picking up a pair.

I'm curious if anybody knows where I can buy a good "switch" for computer jacks though, I have two and possibly will be getting a BR player that will go to a monitor that has the same 3.5mm connector as my MBP.

15. QUiKSR20 macrumors member

QUiKSR20

I looked at the Behringer's but they are way too big and there much more expensive than the A2's they would look out of place sitting on my desk with that being said if you have not heard the Audioengines in person then maybe youll think they are overpriced..

Most reviews state them as being a ton of speaker for the money not one says there even close to being over-priced.

Stereophile - A2 Review
    "I have never been more impressed with or more stunned by a component I've reviewed for Stereophile than I was with the Audioengine 2. The level of sound quality produced by this uncolored, detailed, articulate, and dynamic speaker, in all situations, was beyond reproach, and its ratio of value to cost borders on the criminal."

Real HT Info - A2 Review (Podcast)
    At $200 shipped, consider me hugely impressed. Short Version: For this quality of sound, at this size, and at this price, I don't know of any competition for the A2."

Read what other people have said.

http://www.americantechpushers.com/audioengine2/reviews.html

Enjoy

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've heard the Audioengines, but I still think that they are overpriced compared to what you could get for paying $100 more. If you don't have space or don't like the looks of them. But really the sound is not comparable. It's a full on studio monitor versus a consumer product. It's like Bose for me. They do a lot of advertising and don't make a terrible product, but your money could be spent elsewhere.

17. zambie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the inputs! ... I finally ended up buying the Klipsh iFi system

Klipsch iFi Homepage
    Product specs

[​IMG]

The clarity of music is absolutely astounding .... I took demo's of the Bose Companion III 2.1's, Klipsch promedia 2.1, klipsch gmx 2.1, logitech z2300, z4, altec lansing's 6401, and this came out tops. The mids and lower range is absolutely astoundingly clear crisp and full. The treble is right up there!
    I also tried a pair of B&W bookshelves (sans the subwoofer) .. had tried them out just for teh audio listening experience... and well ... i have to say ... the satellites of the Klipsch iFi can give the B&W's a real run for the money....
    Overall ... i'm just totally delighted!
    specs -

frequency response 27-20,000 Hz
    power handling 200w peak
    max acoustic output 114 dB SPL @ 1m
    crossover frequency 120Hz
    maximum acoustic output114 dB SPL @ 1m
    tweeter 0.75-inch titanium dome compression driver
    high frequency horn Round MicroTractrix™ Horn
    midrange 3.5" aluminum woofer
    subwoofer Single 8" front firing driver
    amplifier Class D
    enclosure material ABS plastic sats, dock and remote
    MDF subwoofer
    enclosure type
    Sub– tuned port
    Sats–tuned port
    inputs iPod docking connector
    Stereo mini auxiliary input
    Stereo mini line input
    outputs 2 speaker level outputs (spring clips)
    weight 43 lbs
    features RF remote, iPod docking station with charger

18. SUSU65 macrumors newbie

SUSU65

I picked up a Ghetto Blaster at a yard sale for $5 bucks,
    ... a sound jack cable at the dollar store for $2 bucks,
    plugged it all in and pressed the Auxiliary button on the blaster,
    and WOW :eek::eek::eek: .... This is Awesome Sound :)