Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stunning_Bed23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2022
Greetings friends.

Is there a way to have the Apple TV default to the Home Screen upon turning it on (instead of defaulting to your last viewed app)?

Watched a bit of Scream 6 the other day on Paramount+ and turned the TV off right in the middle of a violent scene. (Great movie BTW)

Today my daughter turned the TV on to watch one of her shows and *BAM!* - Scream 6 death scene.

I’d rather not continue to frighten and scar my daughter for life if at all possible.

So yeah, is there a way to have the system default to the Home Screen upon turning it on?

I have the latest model (wired version) if that matters…

Thanks.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
It's not actually powering on, it's returning from standby/sleep, that's why it returns to the last known state of what was on screen. I have always either closed the app I was last in or returned to the home screen before putting the AppleTV to standby/sleep mode again.

Reactions: Stunning_Bed23

Stunning_Bed23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2022
No way of doing this to my knowledge. I usually hold down the menu key for a second or two (shortcut to home) before shutting off.

It's not actually powering on, it's returning from standby/sleep, that's why it returns to the last known state of what was on screen. I have always either closed the app I was last in or returned to the home screen before putting the AppleTV to standby/sleep mode again.

Thank you for the info. I’ll just have to get into the habit of returning to the Home Screen before turning the TV off.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Thank you for the info. I’ll just have to get into the habit of returning to the Home Screen before turning the TV off.
I had to get into that habit years ago, because I tend to wake up before my wife. If I’d left it on YouTube the night before, it would automatically play something on startup and risk waking her up in the next room.

Reactions: Stunning_Bed23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.