default video streaming player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tsiroulisj, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Tsiroulisj macrumors newbie

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how I can change the default player for online streaming video??

Thanx!

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

That kind of depends....what format is the stream encoded with?

3. Tsiroulisj thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know! It just automatically launches quick time when I click the link and I get the message "The URL is not valid". I figured that maybe windows only supports this format, so I downloaded Windows Media Player for mac and I am trying to open the streaming using that. I don't know if that even makes sense!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Windows Media Player plays only Windows Media content. That said, it has not been supported on the Mac for years. Microsoft recommends that you download and install the Flip4Mac QuickTime codec if you want to view Windows media. For most other content, you should download and install the Perian QuickTime codec. You may need other codecs, but these two will get you started.

The thing that you need to understand is that there is no universal media player. Many streaming videos are in Flash format. The Quicktime Player will handle some of them, but the Flash Player will handle them all. A small fraction of video is in Real Media format. Only RealPlayer handles those. Still others are handled by proprietary embedded Java applets whenever you want to view them.

5. Tsiroulisj thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, but still how do I change the default quick time player to windows media player, so it doesn't open automatically every time I click on the link? What if I want to try different players to see if one could play the streaming?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What did I tell you? Windows Media Player is defunct. You need to move on. Flip4Mac is what you need to move on to.

It is not at all clear that your mysterious streaming video is in Windows Media format. Perhaps, you should post a link to it so that members of this forum can give you real help.

7. Tsiroulisj thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a football game which streams online from the official tv channel, but you have to be a member and pay subscription in order to have access to the link. I sent an email to them and they said it is for windows users only. Macs not supported. thanx for your help anyway!