defaulting to mobile web pages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Noumenon, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Noumenon macrumors regular

I don't like when web sites presume I want the mobile version of a web page, then redirect me. It really 'grinds my gears' to quote Peter Griffin. I didn't buy an iPhone to read mobile version web sites. If some cheap bastard with a $29 phone want to view the web, let him find the mobile sites. Reminds me of hani-cap parking zones,.... I mean, why should I suffer, i'm not the one with the ailment. (lol)

Apple needs to add an option to tell web sites, in effect 'mind your f-n business what device this is, just send the frickn desktop version,.. I didn't ask you to think for me'.

Is there already a way of preventing this?

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Would love a way to stop this also

Safari is supposed to give the full web , so why keep going to poor mobile versions of sites

3. Noumenon thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, defeats the core functionality of Safari. I think mobile pages will be obsolete within a few years, but it's annoying now.

4. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

A lot of web developers have put in a script that figures out what browser you are using... If it comes up as the mobile safari a lot of them automatically redirect you to the mobile site.

I did find that if you bookmark the site on your computer and sync the bookmarks then go to the site via your bookmark it will take you to the full site.

Hope this helps!

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I tried that on mine (all bookmarks are full site from desktop safari)

as soon as i open one on the iphone it goes straight to the mobile version

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I've seen many "I was directed to" mobile sites that have links to the full site within that mobile site.

You should contact any site that you feel should allow you to go to the full site and ask them for a link TO the full site be placed on the mobile site.

Mike

7. Noumenon thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'll just quit my job then, and email thousands of web sites, and add every possible web site to my bookmarks.

.... or, it would be easier to carry my desktop system around,...

.... or Apple could consider Safari/iPhone a non-mobile device to begin with, or at least provide an option for doing so permantly.

8. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Look, you posted a gripe - a legitimate one at that - and got some responses. If you don't like the responses, which were ALL trying to be helpful since there is not an easy solution, it's best not to post again at all if all you are going to do is a wise-acre reply yourself.

Direct your wise replys to Apple, not the people trying to help. Odds are the people who CAN make a difference are not going to read this thread. They are not going to know what their customers want unless their customers tell THEM. That's the way the whole world works.

Mike

9. Noumenon thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry Mike, I wasn't being serious, just silly sarcasm. Naturally I appreciate the responses so far.

10. cube macrumors G5

There is an easy solution. Safari should provide the ability to fake the user agent string, like Opera does.

11. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

although the iphone is web optimised but the speeds aren't always, if the site is faster because of a mobile version I am personally happy to take that compromise

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I guess you've worked this out, but at the bottom of each mobile website it normally gives a link to the full site. Follow that link once and it normally won't send you to the mobile version again.

13. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

For me that works until i close safari, when i reopen it goes to the mobile version again

I agree with the above poster about speed, if its slow to open the full version then use the mobile

but if safari is supposed to be a full browser (same as desktop safari) why can it not default to full pages

clicking on a favourite to a part of a site
    mobile version opens
    click go to full site
    takes you to sites homepage
    navigate to where you where trying to get to

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, we discussed this issue in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=746213

which adds some additional information on the issue. I had the same gripe. One of the posters said if you're JBed you can fix this. The main thing, I think, is that these mobile sites need to give one the ability to go back to the original site with a link.

15. Noumenon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link.

Some mobile pages provide a full version link, some don't,... it's a messy solution if we must rely on each site. Hopefully Apple can do something in the way of an option.