Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backdraft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
USA
Ok so I started having issues with my 2008 iMac (Black & White pixel flickering) I have Apple Care and well the obvious thing would be that this is a video card issue but instead Apple in all its wisdom sends a replacement hard drive.

I seriously doubt this is a hard drive issue. Images attached for enjoyment. Has anyone had this issue? Is this a defect?

Shot the pic with my 3GS and the other is a screenshot (no idea why the screenshot captured the pixels).

Red lines for confidentiality.

Attachments

• flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 96
  • flicker2.png
    flicker2.png
    940.5 KB · Views: 89

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That can't be HD issue... Have you tried making a new account? It really seems to be a GPU issue, call Apple and get it fixed

BakedApples123

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
That can't be HD issue... Have you tried making a new account? It really seems to be a GPU issue, call Apple and get it fixed

That's pretty weird that the screenshot captured it... I actually am not sure if this is a GPU issue now.

Do you have the Nvidia 8800gs card in there? There are reports that the card fails after about 1.5-2 years so that might be signs of it failing soon.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That's pretty weird that the screenshot captured it... I actually am not sure if this is a GPU issue now.

Do you have the Nvidia 8800gs card in there? There are reports that the card fails after about 1.5-2 years so that might be signs of it failing soon.

Because the screenshot captured it, it's very likely a GPU issue, otherwise it would be screen issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.