Defect Audio Line-Input on Macbook Pro (late 2008)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Timur, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Hey folks!

Here's a word of warning for you Macbook (Pro) users:

Forget about 1, it was the cable!

1. The Line-Input of my Macbook Pro 2.8 (late 2008) records phase-inverted! This happens with both Windows and OS X, so it seems to be happening in hardware.

2. The Realtek Windows driver shipping with Boot Camp is badly bugged. On the Input it clips everything above -12 dB hard, but only on the positive side of the waveform (negative is unharmed)! Fortunately this is fixed with the current R2.14 drivers.

This leaves the question of whether Apple has ever tested the line-input of it's shiney and expensive new Macbook Pros!?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. I think most people will know the windows drivers supplied by Apple are a little dated, incase you ain't noticed. Instead of moaning about it, how about going to realtek's homepage and download newer drivers? :rolleyes:

3. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

Hey Neo,

I guess you read the part where I wrote that the lates R2.14 driver fix the clipping problem?! ;)

Anyway, that wont fix the phase-inversion problem, neither on Windows nor OS X. My guess is that some stupid engineer hard-wired the input wrong, but maybe some driver-update for both OSes can fix it.

4. Timur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Timur

Damn, the phase-inversion turned out to be the cable. You may call me stupid now! :|