defect free graphics cards on 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by janil, Jan 20, 2015.

1. janil macrumors member

Which models of the MBP are fairly stable graphics-card wise?

I basically think it would be unwise to get a MBP that uses discrete graphics at this time.

I have a 2010 15" MBP that has the defective nvidia 330M video card. It is a known defect with a service advisory on it.

Before that I had a 2007 15" MBP with the 8600m problem. That video card also died on me.

The 12" 867Mhz Powerbook G4 I had was solid for me.

I need a new laptop because of this. I don't want to get another laptop that dies just outside of warranty. Are the newer retina models more reliable, or should I simply live with Intel-only graphics?

My feeling is that Apple doesn't know how to handle the thermal constraints of discrete cards, and I don't want to throw more money on the table to have a third laptop die within a few years.

2. Xeridionix macrumors regular

There haven't been too many issues reported with the GeForce 750M in the newer MacBook Pro's with Retina display, but that being said if you don't want to risk dealing with discrete graphics issues then you'd likely be better off with a model with Intel's Iris Pro graphics only.

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

As your first responder noted afaik the recent 750 mbp retina units are supposed to be solid.

I was on the fence about the 15 inch retina mbp until recently. Really liking the current model on the marketplace.

Apple was beat up on the graphics card issues ( appropriately so ). If you want one now go for it.

4. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I've had the GeForce 750M in my 15" rmbp for a year and its great, never had any problems. Also the intel iris graphics are good too.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In the case of the 8600GT, 330M and Radeon 6xx0M cards in the MBPs, the first of the widespread defects started showing up within the first year of each MBP's launch, and increased exponentially past the 3rd year.

In the case of the rMBPs (Ivy Bridge and Haswell), no widespread defects popped up within the first year, so I'd say that Apple tackled the ventilation and thermal problem already. Besides, the rMBPs have a far better thermal design compared to the cMBPs.

6. janil thread starter macrumors member

The Iris Pro graphics are probably good enough for my needs (Lightroom for photography , software development, and general computing).

My wife has a 2010 13" MBP with integrated graphics and it has not had any problems.

That's good to know.. thanks for the feedback.

My 2010 was fine for three and a half years before it started crashing/rebooting. First it happened every few weeks, and now it crashes every day or two. I don't think it's worth getting repaired; I would rather spend the money on a new laptop.

If there have not been any major problems reported in over a year, the 750m design is probably solid.

It would be nice for a $2k-$3k purchase to last at least five years (even if it's not a primary machine for the entire time)

Thanks for the information.

I'll do some research on the thermal design -- it's interesting that they improved while making it thinner. I suppose the missing optical drive and hard drive along with better chipsets (such as Haswell) help a lot.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

They also used more power efficient chips along increased the ventilation, to the point that leaded solder isn't a problem anymore.

Notice the vents at the side of the rMBP.

8. Raunien macrumors 6502

mid-2012 cMBP (non-retina) 15 inch with the GT650M has no problems for me at least.