defect in Apple logo on macbook pro, fix?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Mar 20, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

i had my MBP lcd replaced and it came back just fine but with a "thing" in the apple logo on the back of the toplid, would you take it in to get fixed or just wait until there's another legitimate repair that needs to be done and get it taken care of then?

here's a pic:

[​IMG]

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont know what that is. have you tried scratching it off:p

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I would inquire about it if something with the LCD ever acts up.

I wouldnt take it in for that, when are you ever going to see it! It adds character IMO. :)

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Worm in the Apple! Ahhh!!!!!

Depends how much it bugs you. If that happened to me, I wouldn't really care since I don't look at the damn thing when the computer is on or really at all. But then again, depending on what that really is, you might want to consider if that will affect your next repair, for example, something is wrong and they point to that or some other shady s---.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

it's underneath the apple not on the surface.

looks up close like a bit of solder (or metal piece) i dunno though.

I guess you guys are right :D I'm never really staring at the apple.

6. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

I personally would tap on the apple logo and see if the piece would fall off. Let me know if it works..

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

8. thebigb010 macrumors newbie

thebigb010

Honestly, I believe in quality workmanship. If i paid good $$$ to get that screen replaced I would insist on a quality job.

If that is indeed a piece of solder/metal and it starts wandering around it could cause damage.

When I had my mothers IMac repaired they left dust inside the screen - the Apple Store was so sorry they gave me a $25 gift card for my troubles.

If it was me I'd get it done right!

B

9. jagr200 macrumors member

Agreed. You pay $2000 for a laptop. You shouldn't have a speck in the Apple logo. It might not affect the usage but do you buy a 2009 Nissan Maxima with half the logo on the front? Nope.

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

would you take it in for repair tho or wait until there's another serious repair that needs to be dealt with and bring it up then?

i dont want to be without a laptop its annoying

11. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I think I would call the location that did the repair, explain your concerns, and see how quickly they think they can take care of it.

This way you'll have a better idea how long you'll be without a laptop before you make your decision.

12. akbc macrumors 6502

I'd take it in if I had the time to be laptop-less for a while.

IF something happens to your LCD, there's small chance that they just might tackle you with that, and say something like "There's a dust underneath the Apple Logo, user's fault, and it caused blah blah to blah blah so you're not covered by the warranty"

When I got my laptop repaired, and it came back with a small scratch on the battery cover, I took it back to get it replaced. They were nice enough to just ship another battery cover to my home address (after getting it in to their repair shop).
    So now I have two covers, I still use the scratched one since I really don't care but I know I have a spare one if something happens to it :)

13. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

i complained about it earlier, and they documented it on an open repair ticket in case i pursue it. i dont want to be without a laptop to fix something thats purely cosmetic, i need my computer really often.

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

good i would say as long as you have it documented dont worry about it, unless it bothers you. but thats your decision.

15. aarcarr macrumors member

If its a piece of lint or something, itll be fine. You cant be pinned for dust or something like that getting in there. If its a pebble or a grain or sand, get it checked out. That pressure can leave marks on the display. If you trust yourself, its really easy to open up the top bezel.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You gotten a rotten Apple!! Sorry I just couldnt resist! LOL.

17. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

next time i need a repair done, i'll get it looked at.

not worth taking it in and being computerless for a few days at least over one speck.

18. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

yea. One speck could turn into 3-4 dead pixels on a replacement LCD, if they went that far.

IMO its not worth the hassle. People can gripe about "2000$ this and that," but unless you wanna go through the hassle of getting a new one (cause I wouldnt take a fix), then f it, live with it, and make some weird story up for when people ask.

tell them its a special edition :) haha

19. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

^ Not sure I follow your statement about 3-4 dead pixels.

20. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

you kidding?

21. SecondDealer macrumors regular

The work involved in fixing that would more than likely put your computer at greater risk for having other issues. I would wait until you go in the next time for something else and then piggy back this issue as well. I can understand wanting your computer to be PERFECT, that's why we own Macs haha.

22. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Are you saying it's not that big of a deal at all?

23. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

If your not happy just take it back and get it replaced... that's what the 14-day money back guarantee is for. I would demand a replacement.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It really doesn't matter what we would do because the only one it will bug is you.

25. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes but doesnt it feel good to flex your opinion muscle?