Defect on new 4G Touch. Can I get it replaced?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Sep 9, 2010.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I picked up my new 4G iPod Touch yesterday at the Apple Store, and I have loved it so far. But last night, I noticed a defect on my iPod that is annoying me.

I use my iPod quite a bit at night in a dark room. As soon as I turned my iPod on last night, I noticed something I hadn't noticed during the day, but it was now very noticeable - the light from the screen was coming through spots on the black bezel. A few millimeters below the bottom of the screen was an approximately inch long line on the black of the iPod where there was light coming through. Clearly in this spot the black was not black enough because most of the iPod looked fine. There were also several other small spots where light was coming through. I've never had this problem before.

So my question is, do you think Apple will give me a new one? The problem is going to be impossible to reproduce in the store, because it is not dark in there, so they need to take my word for it. And this issue does not hinder my ability to use the product, it's cosmetic. But for my new $400 iPod, I don't like that I'm going to have to deal with how this looks for the next two years or so until I get the 6th generation or whatever. So will Apple exchange it? Anyone have any similar problems in the past?

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I had a light leak on an iPhone 3G a couple of years ago. I told them what the problem was and they took it in to look at and a little while later I got a new phone (it had the same problem, but was definitely a new one).
    I didnt actually ever take the 2nd one back because it took about a week to replace and I had to have my iPhone :p
    Just take it in, im sure they would have heard of light leaks before, so they will have a way of checking them I assume.

3. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

4. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called the Apple Store and they set up a Genius Bar appointment for me for tomorrow. Hopefully they replace it with a new one, the problem is not hindering my ability to use the device, but it is annoying, and for $400 I don't want to be annoyed. Doesn't hurt either than in the excitement of playing with my new toy yesterday, I managed to scratch the back, so I wouldn't mind a fresh one to get a second chance with :p

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Those chrome backs pretty much scratch themselves. I wouldn't blame yourself for that one. ;)

6. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I know :rolleyes: I handled it super carefully, yet I still have at least 100 tiny scratches along both sides, right where the back goes from flat to curved. Now that I've gotten over the infatuation of playing with my new iPod, if they give me a new one for the screen light problem I'll be able to resist opening it until my BodyGuardz arrives :)

7. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Never had it on my two touches, so definitely a defect. I think you have a point about 400$ so go to the Apple store. Maybe they will give you a new one to build good relationships with customers.

8. maus macrumors regular

With minor issues like light leakage, will Apple accept a return without a restocking fee? The possibility that they won't is the only thing keeping me from driving to an Apple store and making the purchase rather than waiting for Best Buy to get stock.

9. EllieV macrumors 6502

It doesn't hurt to ask. When I returned mine and got it exchanged, they waves the restocking fee. So just try it.

10. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

And don't forget, the problem is more than just cosmetic. Any gaps along the sides are openings for dust and debris.

11. david594 macrumors newbie

I had that issue with my Ipod Touch 3rd gen. Bought it through amazon though and they took it back no questions asked.

12. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping that everyone is right. I'll be very disappointed if I walk out of the Apple Store tomorrow with the same iPod I go in there with. I fully anticipate though that they'll give me a new one.

13. fwoppers macrumors member

I noticed last night that I have this problem, too. *picture*

If everything goes well with you, I might take mine in. :\

Attached Files:

14. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Definitely take yours in too. It is a faulty product and they have to replace it. Im not sure how consumers are protected in the USA, but here in New Zealand, you just go into the store and if they refuse to replace a faulty product you start quoting the Consumer Guarantees Act and threaten to go to a TV show called Fair Go. Scares them ******** every time, and you always end up getting what you should have in the first place.

15. fwoppers macrumors member

Ideally, I would take it in as soon as possible. But some questions:

1) If you need a replacement, do they still charge a fee? (of $29.90, as it states on my receipt. Can't pay that until later this month.)
    2) Will I get the replacement same-day? (assuming they have it in-stock).

I agree with the OP that I paid a lot of money for this, and for that price I expect a pretty damn good product. :p

16. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

1) If they told me they would charge a fee for giving me a non faulty product that I should have received in the first place, I would literally rip them a new one. You payed full price for a non faulty product, and the one you received was faulty. DO NOT LET THEM CHARGE YOU FOR APPLES MISTAKE.

2) This depends on the way in which they determine the fault. My iPhone had to be taken in a few years ago for a light leak, and it took about a week to get a new one (I was not charged), but then again, we dont actually have Apple stores in New Zealand, so when I took it to where I bought it, they had to send it to Apple themselves.

17. ChrisLovesSaw macrumors newbie

I have a light-leak as well, it didn't bother me really.

18. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's part of what I'm experiencing. I'll update this thread tomorrow night with the result of my trip to the Apple Store. I have a Genius Bar meeting for 6:45 so I will post not too long afterwards.

19. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It doesn't bother me that much. It's not so distracting that I can't use my iPod. It's just the point of the matter. I spent $400 on something and it wasn't built up to maximum standard, so I want one that is. The problem does not seem to be widespread so I don't want to settle for a incorrectly manufactured product.

20. Abscissa macrumors regular

A brand new apple product with a defect should be taken to a store ASAP. They will 99% of the time replace it no charge. That's what they have done with iPhones. Some people have gotten macbooks with a dent or two, they take it back and get a brand new one no questions ask.

21. fwoppers macrumors member

Exactly my logic. Thanks.

Awesome, I hope that happens, heh. I don't want to go a week without my new awesome gadget. :p

22. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

So I read this thread and instantly took my iPT into the closet. I also have a very, very small light leak where the volume buttons are. I would have never noticed if it were for the OP. I don't really think it is drastic and to be honest, the edges will be covered with my case when they get around to manufacturing them. But I am also now considering an exchange.:confused:

23. sambow87 macrumors newbie

Have the same light leak at the buttons. With this and the clicking from video recording, it might go back for a while.

24. Abscissa macrumors regular

Yeah, I could be wrong (I've never had the issue besides having my macbook repaired out of warranty) but as far as I know and have read, that's typically what they do for all new devices. I would get a 4th gen, but I'm happy with my 3rd gen. I think I'm gonna wait for a new iPad.

25. AppleWizard macrumors member

Same thing happened to my iPod Touch I bought this morning. Couldn't be my fault because I didn't drop it or anything. I am pretty tired of going back to the Apple store to get things replaced. I had to replace a brand new MacBook pro twice for dead pixels and now this...

I don't see why they wouldn't replace it, if they don't I will be pissed.

It has the light shinging through, a mushy home button that doesn't go all the way back up and I the sound plays on the loudest setting even when I turn it off.