Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minimvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
For the last 20 years, I've been a PC user and for a combination of reasons (mainly I hate the look of Windows 8 and how it works), I made the decision a few months back that my future was an iMac.

As I wasn't in any rush to change, I thought I'd play a little waiting game to see what changes Apple made to it's iMac mid/top end range. Given Yosemite is just around the corner (and may prompt some small revised iMac specs) and now the apparent delay in launching the new Intel Broadwell chips, how long should I wait? Indeed, should I wait or just get on with it?

Thoughts much appreciated!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Waiting depends on your yet unstated computational needs, but it is very likely, that the current iMacs, except the entry model with the 1.4 GHz CPU maybe, will suffice your needs.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
From someone who just made the change.

Buddy retired to me his Mac mini i5 (new job, no longer doing ios app dev). I thought I'd tinker with it.

Same boat, XP/Vista/7 have been fine. 8 looks like a train wreck, and always been a little curious about OSX.

First impression, set up internet accounts. I have custom Google Apps domain for family. Plugged in, and out the gate, Mail/Calendar/Contacts is spot on perfect integration. It was never so seamless with Windows, stuck running Chrome all the time. I finally have my iPhone/IPad notes synced to a desktop properly.

Using a Logitech mouse feels weird, very slow. I got a third party application SmoothMouse to fix that and much better, but login screens and other places still wonky.

Still wrapping mind around the different database library organization of iMovie and iPhoto.

File system is different. It takes more clicks to get to "C:" root. There is no C:, it's whatever you name the disks. Disorienting. Feels slower more tedious to move files around and organize stuff.

The way open/background applications handled in the dock, seems less efficient than Win7. But maybe, it's just different.

Once you start working past all that.

Dropbox/OneDrive/Mozy all work as expected.
Garmin applications, Steam, Battle.net, etc etc.

iMovie blows Windows Movie Maker out of the water for Virb action camera.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Any update before Broadwell, hell even Skylake will be minor and not worth the wait in my opinion. If you've decided to make the switch, do it now.

Out of curiosity, what did you specifically hate about how W8 works? I run W8 from time to time for certain applications and I haven't had much complaint. Sure Modern UI sucks for desktop usage. But other than the Modern UI (which can easily be avoided by using third party apps), I actually enjoy W8 in comparison to W7.

As for the aesthetics of W8, I much prefer W8's flatness over tacky Aero interface of W7. That's why I am welcoming Yosemite change. OSX was starting to look stale and tacky.

Regardless, you should make the switch and OS X will make you happy for the most part!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
The mid to top end iMac will certainly serve most people needs and then some. I do not see any major upgrades happening to the iMac in the very near future (next few months). Within the next year there is a good chance of some possible major upgrades. But this is only a guess on my part.

You have not stated at all what kind of requirements you will need from the iMac, so it is hard for us to give you a good response. I have a top end late 2012 iMac with 24GB RAM, which I use for video editing, graphic & web design, some programming and then your average stuff such as web browsing, emails and such. Link is to a refurb of my model, mine was new.

I have thrown some pretty intense work at my iMac and it has done everything with a breeze. Waiting is always always a guessing game. If you need the iMac now, then go for it. The sooner it is in your hands the sooner you can start learning the OS.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Make sure you purchase AppleCare, whichever iMac you buy. Mine has paid for itself big time on a 2011 iMac that had some issues beyond the standard one year warranty period. I would never buy an iMac without it personally. Just for the peace of mind, I think it offers value.

I think Apple makes great products even though my iMac had problems. It's always possible for something to go wrong. I just happened to be unlucky there. I found service and support to be first class. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Apples may go for premium prices but the company takes care of its customers not just before but after the sale.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
From someone who just made the change.

Buddy retired to me his Mac mini i5 (new job, no longer doing ios app dev). I thought I'd tinker with it.

Same boat, XP/Vista/7 have been fine. 8 looks like a train wreck, and always been a little curious about OSX.

First impression, set up internet accounts. I have custom Google Apps domain for family. Plugged in, and out the gate, Mail/Calendar/Contacts is spot on perfect integration. It was never so seamless with Windows, stuck running Chrome all the time. I finally have my iPhone/IPad notes synced to a desktop properly.

Using a Logitech mouse feels weird, very slow. I got a third party application SmoothMouse to fix that and much better, but login screens and other places still wonky.

Still wrapping mind around the different database library organization of iMovie and iPhoto.

File system is different. It takes more clicks to get to "C:" root. There is no C:, it's whatever you name the disks. Disorienting. Feels slower more tedious to move files around and organize stuff.

The way open/background applications handled in the dock, seems less efficient than Win7. But maybe, it's just different.

Once you start working past all that.

Dropbox/OneDrive/Mozy all work as expected.
Garmin applications, Steam, Battle.net, etc etc.

iMovie blows Windows Movie Maker out of the water for Virb action camera.

Best off trying to forget about the file system. As a fairly new Mac user myself I found approaching the Mac like I never used a Windows machine a much less frustrating experience. The problem is I (we) are trying to use it like a Windows box.

I had the same frustration if not more so going from Android to iOS.

I still question the way Apple does somethings but in the end it works just fine, just differently.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Given Yosemite is just around the corner (and may prompt some small revised iMac specs) and now the apparent delay in launching the new Intel Broadwell chips, how long should I wait? Indeed, should I wait or just get on with it?

Just get on with it! :) Yosemite is unlikely to cause, by itself, any spec bumps in the iMac. And the current-model iMacs will run Yosemite just fine when it comes out.

With Broadwell being farther out, you're going to have longer to wait to see any spec upgrades of any consequence. So, there's little point in waiting.

And if you ARE that concerned about it, then I would suggest buying refurbished. It'll save you a couple hundred bucks, and help you justify getting "old" tech by saving yourself some cash in doing it. Plus, the direct Apple refurbs are well-known for being nearly impossible to tell apart from brand-new, and have all the same warranties and AppleCare eligibility. The drawback of course is that with refurbs, you get what they have available. There's no BTO customization there, unless someone happened to order a customized Mac and then returned it.

(Just make sure that if you do go the refurb route, you're buying an iMac dated September 2013 or later.. Otherwise you WILL really be getting "old" tech.)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
From the looks of it, we may not see any Broadwell iMacs until late in the fourth quarter of this year, but more likely in the first/second quarter of NEXT year.

Do you want to wait that long?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.