Defective Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by myi123, Apr 25, 2015.

1. myi123 macrumors newbie

My watch, for some reason, was not able to make or accept phone calls. I tried the regular things, unpairing, repairing restarting my phone, resetting network settings etc. When nothing would work, I called up Apple tech support.
    I have to say, they are EXTREMELY helpful. The guy on the phone walked me through some other things and eventually (being a new product) suggested I go into the Apple Store to have the Genius take a look. I asked him if I needed a appointment, he told me NO- they had staff to assist people with the watch during this weekend.
    Being the Apple geek that I am, I went straight to the Apple Store. It was packed and the person in front of me was told there was a 9-person queue for walk-ins. I thought I was screwed, but when I explained my problem, they took me right to the bank and someone was there to help me.
    At the genius store, they were still confused and new to the product (they had less hands on time with it at this point than I had). They tried a few things, called up tech support themselves (lol) but in the end they were not able to solve it. At one point, there were like 5 Apple employees with me, trying to help. BEST PART- the manager said that it sucked that i got a bad watch, so she gave me AppleCare for FREE so I could use the express replacement service.
    They processed the replacement on the spot, and said they would mail me the new watch and a box to return this one.

But the story doesn't end-
    The Tech Guy I was on the phone with yesterday emailed me saying that he had a couple other things he wanted to try (he was convinced that it wasn't a hardware issue). So today (Day 2 of Launch), I spent several hours on the phone with him, restoring the phone, running some diagnostics, trying a different phone, until he was able to confirm the problem was WITH MY PHONE, NOT THE WATCH. With this, he cancelled the replacement watch. HE IS ALSO SHIPPING ME A FREE MILANESE LOOP BAND FOR MY TROUBLES!! (I LOVE APPLE)

We took a lunch break because we'd been at it for hours. Now I'm waiting for a call back to continue to figure out the problem. I'm expecting they'll end up replacing my phone.

I found it very interesting that the Tech Guy told me that Senior Engineers are getting involved in my case because this is the first instance of this problem. Also I am really impressed by Apple's customer service, really going above and beyond to resolve my issues and compensate me for my troubles. Ok it makes sense to spend a bit on me, considering the ridiculous amount of $$$ i will spend on Apple products in my lifetime, but still I doubt Samsung would:apple::apple: go to these lengths!

Hopefully, will have a resolution soon! Either way, I'm loving the watch, and loving the free gifts from Apple!

FYI
    42 mm SG Sport w/ Black Sport band
    iPhone 6 64 gb - Middle East configuration (MG4H2AE/A)
    T-Mobile carrier (USA)

2. Simbal macrumors newbie

Excellent customer service. That is one of the big reason that I keep coming back to apple. Not just for the product!

3. Zachster7 macrumors newbie

I am in the middle of a similar issue which you can read about here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1872547&highlight=doa

It's going to be a week for them to get me a replacement, my question is: did you ask for them to do anything for you, or did they just offer? Did you communicate that you were unhappy with the situation? I personally had thought yesterday that it would be great if they would offer me something for the two hours on the phone / huge letdown of having a dysfunctional watch. Anyways just wanted to ask. Glad they resolved it for you.

4. myi123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I 'jokingly' made suggestions that they should replace my Sport watch with a Gold Edition watch :) They found it funny, but impossible, obviously.
    So far, I've spent about 9 hours at the Apple Store and on the phone so far since I got it yesterday. I guess, I should be more upset and frustrated, but I've been generally very positive and calm when dealing with the Apple employees. But they've repeatedly said they understand that I must be frustrated and they will do everything they can to help (and they have, so far).

I read your case and it seemed like more of an open/shut case where it was simply DoA. That said, theres no harm in asking for some compensation for the trouble, considering the frustration that you've had to deal with. I got the feeling that Customer Service may have been authorised to do more than usual to satisfy upset :apple: watch customers.

5. Zachster7 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. I do have to say that I have felt the service has been great. We'll see where I get with it.