Defective Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CFoss, Sep 18, 2011.

1. CFoss macrumors 6502

My friend has had a MacBook Pro for almost two years now, and the battery doesn't seem to hold a charge anymore. I doubt they have an AppleCare Warranty... so, my question is this: Should we send the MacBook to Apple? Or should I have a go at fixing it myself?

My experience includes upgrading the RAM and HDDs in my Mac Pro... I'm guessing this might be a little more complicated.

From what I can tell, Apple charges you $200(!) to replace the battery. Yikes. Alternatively, it would seem Amazon.com has Apple batteries on sale for around $50, though I am unsure if they ship to Canada. If anyone has a Canadian alternative, please let me know.

I'm not sure what model the MacBook Pro is, but I'll make sure to ask them next time I see them.

Thanks for your time.

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I'm no expert on mac internals (More so PC internals), but I know that Apple has a habit of keeping the goods deep in their products. I'm quite sure the old MacBooks have easily accessible batteries (as far as  goes) and it wouldn't be too much of a problem. First thing's first, do some research and see if you can take the battery out because that extra $150 can buy quite a bit and is not worth paying someone for a task that you could do by yourself.

3. CFoss thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. :)