Defective Battery?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sarice15, Sep 29, 2015.

1. sarice15 macrumors newbie

sarice15

I dropped by the Apple store yesterday and picked up a 38mm SS Apple Watch. Got it home, went to turn it on, and nothing. Dead right out of the gate. No problem, threw it on the charger for a bit while I updated my phone to iOS 9. Got it charged up enough to pair it with the phone, and then had to wait for it to reach 50% so I could update it to watchOS 2.

This morning, I put it on about 7:15 while I was getting ready for work, fully charged. About 15 minutes later (and some minor fiddling), I'm already down to 97%. Battery dropped pretty steadily throughout the day - I was at about 50% at noon; about 20% around 4. Got home, took the dogs out for a short walk, and I'm at 6%, and it's only 6:15. So in less than 12 hours, I've run it almost all the way down - no way I would have gotten the advertised 18 hours.

I threw it on the charger and got it back up to around 38%, and in the past 45 minutes, I'm already back down to 30%.

Obviously, I know that my usage today probably isn't going to be the norm going forward, but the quick battery drain has me a bit concerned. All told, I had 3 hours, 58 minutes active usage and 11 hours, 21 minutes standby. I read elsewhere that people were having issues with watches that were DOA, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Any one have the same problem or know a fix for it?

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Totally depends on your usage pattern. Since you've only had it for a day, I would give it at least a week. Get used to it, and settle into a more routine usage pattern. Right now, you're probably fiddling with it a lot to learn what it can do (I know I did when I got mine.)

If you get close to the 14 day return period, and it's still bad, then return it for refund and get a new one.

If you return it outside of the 14 day return period, you will either have to get it repaired, or will get a refurbished one as a replacement (if they determine that there is actually something wrong with it.)

3. sarice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

sarice15

That's pretty much my game plan at this point - use it for the next week, and if I'm still having battery issues next Monday, I'll just swap it out. Like I said, I'd read a few threads about DOA watches presenting some issues, so just wanted to ease my anxiety and make sure that wasn't necessarily an immediate concern.

4. ProphetX macrumors 6502

Its a bug with the 2.0 update. You’ll just have to repair. Thats what cleared it up for me.

5. sarice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

sarice15

Awesome! I'll try that out. I'm loving it so far, I just need the battery to keep up with me.