Defective battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Aztec, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Aztec macrumors regular

Hey,

I've had my MacBook since October 17th. Since then, I've gotten through 16 cycles. Now, coconutBattery and iStat Pro both say that I only have 93% health left in my battery. Also, my full charge capacity is now at 3819 mAh. I've done the battery calibration already and it hasn't changed a thing (battery health-wise). I'm thinking I might have a defective battery and I called AppleCare, but they told me to wait till it drops a couple percent more. I'll be quite close to an Apple Store this weekend so I might drop by, see what they have to say about it. What do you guys think? Am i freaking out or is this a legitimate concern?

2. wantamac12232 macrumors newbie

call apple tech support

3. Aztec thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've tried doing that and the guy said that it might be defective, but it might not. He told me to wait a couple weeks to see if the health decreases, and that if it does, to call back and they'll probably exchange it. I'll still make a little trip to the Genius Bar this weekend to see what they have to say about it, because I'm not getting the life that I'm supposed to be getting out of the battery and it's kind of annoying.

4. weeman macrumors 6502

Yeah I'd say its definitely defective...according to iStat im at 27 cycles with 100%...it was at 98% but I just calibrated it.

5. Aztec thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks for the info, I'll bring it in to the Genius Bar so they can check it out!

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

FYI, these batteries will degrade - even if they are not cycled - just over time itself. They will degrade a lot faster when cycled heavily - and with deeper cycling - but just existing kills them eventually. (especially when existing at warmer temperatures)

7. Aztec thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but 7% over 16 cycles doesn't seem very normal to me.

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

that is not normal i had a white book with 115 cycles on the battery and it was at 98%