Defective Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deedz, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Deedz macrumors newbie

My 13 inch 2010 mbp is less than a week old and my istat says that it only has 97% health with 7 cycles. My friends 2009 13 inch mbp is at 97% and its 6 - 9 months old. Is this normal?

2. celticpride678

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

try coconut battery. If that shows the same thing, take it to the apple store you bought it from. They will swap it out with no questions asked.

Well, try the post above mine before you do what I said.

4. Deedz thread starter macrumors newbie

5. celticpride678

6. Deedz thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Your battery is just fine. I have 6 cycles and 97% health, which is where it has stayed for a couple of months. Don't worry about it. There are many battery threads here you can find with search, and many new owners seem concerned about this. Don't be. 97% is fine. My guess is the "health" estimate has a margin of error of 5% at least!

8. Deedz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It just seems as if my battery dies really fast I get about 4 - 5 hours which seems kind of low. I do anything from regular web browsing to using daws and dvs programs

9. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I have calibrated my battery a couple times and then put about 4 cycles on it and it now seems to read correctly with 99% so you may want to try a few more cycles and calibrate it. If that doesn't work take it in to Apple to check it out.

10. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Relax! You've had it a week. You're pounding away on it, trying everything out (good - you should be!). My first week, I got 4 - 5 hours, too. Then I calmed down and settled into more normal use. And I reduced the brightness a bit. Now as I type it shows 58% charge and 5.21 hours remaining, which is about what I would expect.

Give it another week or two and see where you are. (You have a year's warranty, even if you didn't buy AppleCare.) If you are still concerned then, take it to Apple. But I will bet by then you'll be on to worrying about other things (at least, that's what happened to me!)

Cheers!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios