Defective/Broken iPad 2 Screen

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by D3AD CRUIS3R, Mar 18, 2011.

1. D3AD CRUIS3R macrumors newbie

I got my iPad a couple days ago in the mail, and have had great success with it thus far.

Earlier I was on the app Friendly for Facebook, and the iPad shut off while I was using it. I figured the case I am using for now, (an iPad 1st-gen case), hit the sleep button accidentally. I tried to bring it back to life by hitting the button again and tried pressing the home button, but it was unresponsive.

I held the home and power buttons in hope of doing a hard restart, but nothing occurred. I then plugged it into my laptop and the iPad screen showed it was very low on battery. This made no sense considering it was around 70-80% around the time it shut off. I unplugged it and put it into the wall adapter in hope that this would charge it faster. The iPad quickly began the booting process and showed the Apple logo as it should, but after a while it disappeared and the screen was black. I hit the home button and the screen showed no activity other than the dim back light flashing. The same happened when I hit the sleep button.

I just tried to restore it, in case it was software related, but as iTunes began the process the iPad 2 flashed several lines across the screen which has lead me to believe that the screen somehow malfunctioned. The restore completed successfully, but now every time I wake it up, the same lines flash across the screen in different patterns with each wake. Another thing I have noticed is that the iPad is fully responsive to touch-gestures and I can unlock my iPad and perform functions, but I cannot see what it is I am doing.

I have been extremely gentle with this and haven't dropped, thrown, or caused any physical damage to it whatsoever.

I plan to try to run to the Apple Store today to see what they say...

Has anyone else had similar problems with the screen?
    Thanks.

2. erob54, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

erob54 macrumors newbie

Broken Home Button iPad 2

My iPad 2 has been acting up lately too. At first the home button would only work about half the time, then it did not work at all. I went to the Apple store (after I restored the iPad to default settings). It acted up at first, but then worked flawlessly for the person at the Apple store. They are ordering me another iPad to replace mine. After I read your post, I went ahead and uninstalled Friendly for the iPad and restarted it. At first the button was still unresponsive, but now it appears to be working again. I do not know whether it is in any way attributed to Friendly, but I will test it out while I wait for my replacement and give you an update.

*UPDATE* I have been running it for about 4 hours now with no problem. I am also currently upgrading to 4.3.1. I will see if it experiences any problems tomorrow.