Defective DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jayducharme, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

I finally called Apple tech support. I had installed SL twice but Mail, Safari, Logic and lots of other programs were repeatedly crashing in SL. It turned out that I had a defective installation DVD. The Apple store swapped it out for a new one. I ran the installation procedure again and this time everything seems to be working okay.

So if you're experiencing odd behaviors or crashes from SL, get a new disk.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems so weird to me that one can have a DVD that doesn't throw up errors during installation but causes these problems because it is defective.Wow! Glad you got it solved. :)

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

How did you know that it was a defective disk that was causing this? Or did the support people figure this out? I don't get how it managed to install but then showed up problems later after install :confused:

4. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68030

jayducharme

The guy from Apple support told me that it might be a defective disk. He said the SL installation attempts to recover from errors as it installs. In my case, the install kept hanging at about 38%. The DVD would spin fast then slow down repeatedly for a few minutes, frozen at that point, and then continue on. The new disk didn't exhibit that problem

5. footballforever macrumors member

I have a new disk coming too, My would not even install and it was pissing me off, I try about 4 times, every time I tried it would act like it was installing and then just freaking turn my screen to black and never install, this happen 4 times.

My macbook is only 2 months old.

6. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68030

jayducharme

Well, the guy from Apple evidently was wrong. My Mac apps began crashing again. Safari has been especially flaky. So I guess it's back to tech support....