Defective (Expanding) Battery in MacBook Pro Unibody 5,1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pikepride2000, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Pikepride2000 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share a quick story about something that was driving me crazy the past couple of weeks and how I got the situation resolved. As I said, for about two weeks I was dealing with an issue where my cursor would jump around my screen when I was typing in documents, e-mails, or text boxes in web browsers and for the life of me could not figure out what was going on. I was certain that I didn't have any portion of either hand resting upon or touching the trackpad as I was typing. After looking around online I found other users who had experienced this situation and they did a parameter reset on their MBP by removing the battery, etc. However, when I went to remove the battery I noticed that the battery/hard disc cover was not completely closed although I had never opened it up. When I went to re-insert the battery after waiting the prescribed amount of time I couldn't get the battery to insert easily and could not get the cover to close all the way. I eventually decided it might be worth a trip to BBY, as my local Apple store was about twice the distance, and none of their "Geek Squad" techies could get the battery re-inserted and covered either. It was at this point that I asked them, "Does it look to you like the battery is bulging a bit in the middle on the top and bottom?" After they all looked at it they agreed that it didn't look quite flat. They then suggested that I take it to the Apple store, which I did the next day. On the way home that night I also called Apple Care and asked if this was a common issue with this generation MBP because I was one of the many who had the significant battery expansions on the previous MBP models as well. The gentleman I spoke with could not find anything in their system pointing to this being an issue with this model. When I arrived at the Genius Bar and shared my story with them they ran the typical Apple diagnostic test and verified that all of the components passed and then looked at the battery and confirmed that the top and bottom of the battery were bulging. They explained that the pressure from the battery bulge would have been causing the random jumps on the trackpad which is right above the battery. Even though I didn't have Apple Care on this model, which I couldn't afford at the time when I got this MBP, the group at the Apple store replaced my battery due to it being defective with one that they ordered. I am writing this in part to help anyone else that might run into a similar situation with their 5,1 MBP unibody as well as to compliment the wonderful customer care policies that Apple has put in place. I have had to use Apple's customer care dozens of times over the years for my different Apple products and there hasn't been a single situation that wasn't eventually resolved to my full satisfaction. So, thanks Apple. :)

~Mick :apple:

2. AMCarter3 macrumors newbie

AMCarter3

Bulging battery

I have had the same odd trackpad behavior issues on my 2008 MacBook Pro and 2008 MacBook after 3 years. The Applecare rep I talked to asked if the battery was bulging. It was in both cases. I purchased new batteries. Problem solved.