Defective Home Button Day 1 (iP6)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone 6 Plus, Sep 19, 2014.

1. iPhone 6 Plus macrumors newbie

So, I bought a brand-new silver iPhone 6 16GB for my wife today. Unfortunately, right out of the box it started acting as if I was constantly pressing the home button, even though I wasn't. It was constantly waking itself up, bringing up that screen that you get when you double tap the home key, and closing apps she was looking at. All without touching the home key.

I tried to book a Genius Bar appointment, but unfortunately they don't appear to be setting any new appointments up until Monday. So I just went down to the nearest Apple store and walked right up to the first blue shirt I saw. He told me that normally they won't do Genius Bar appointments on launch day, but that the Apple engineers were very eager to hear any instances of defective iPhones. He actually had to go get the manager of the store (head honcho) because they were under a directive that the manager had to personally be informed of any defective iPhones. After listening to me and observing the problem, the manger went to the back and brought out a genius to specifically deal with my issue. He also was able to observe the strange behavior, and they replaced my phone on the spot.

All of this with the store completely full and a line of people stretched out and around the corner. While they appeared to be turning people away for general service requests, they seem to be taking defective units very seriously.

2. bryancee macrumors regular

Good news for anyone else having a problem!

3. iPhone 6 Plus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll add that I bought the phone at an AT&T store earlier in the day and activated it myself when I got home. That's why the problem didn't get observed at the store at the time of purchase.

4. RyanG macrumors 6502

your username and phone purchased makes no sense

5. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

first of all ... nice screen name :D

secondly, i am amazed that they already have replacement phones available. we know that it isn't refurbished because you are probably the first person to even have one fixed. that's great that they swapped it right out :)

6. iPhone 6 Plus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yes, I fully intended to get the 6 plus, and in my exuberance chose this screen name. But after seeing it and playing with the display model, I found it to be too large for me to use comfortably. I ended up getting a iP6 gold 64GB for the same price as the 6+ 16gb. So, yeah, my screen name is now like a bad tattoo, it seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm stuck with it lol:)

7. EnderTW macrumors 6502

That's great news. Can you imagine. Sorry but we're not doing anything until Monday and good luck getting an apt?