Defective iPod Touch 5g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by riptide747, Oct 29, 2012.

1. riptide747 macrumors member

I received my brand new iPod Touch 5th generation 3 days ago and it is already showing signs of defect. Yesterday when using it, the iPod's screen randomly phased out, slowly dying like the battery had gone out on a gameboy, but I know there was at least half a battery left. The iPod then restarted itself, and once at the apple logo, died in the same way with small lines going horizontally across the logo and fading out. I did a hard reset and it turned back on, this time it stayed on the apple logo and didn't change for probably 10 minutes. I finally restored it on iTunes and it worked for a few hours, then died the exact same way again. My question, can I take my defective iPod to a mac store to get a replacement, or do I need to take it to the Apple retail store (which is a 2 hour drive away). Or could I simply take it to Best Buy? I purchased the iPod originally from the Apple online store. I would also NOT like to send it back in because I use my iPod for texting and need it ASAP, not in a month or two.

Long story short, I bought a $300 paperweight. I want my iPod to work. Where can I go to get it fixed.

2. Androidfan1x macrumors regular

it's defective so they will need to give you a new one for free.
    because you bought it at apple online store, so you probably need to go to apple store to get the new one, but the best way is call them and ask them where can you go and they'll tell you.

3. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Since you buy it from online store, you can just call them to pick it up and change you a new one.

Probably take couple of days i think. Im not sure you should take 2 hours drive before you gave them a call.

4. riptide747 thread starter macrumors member

Follow up

I have lots of data accumulated from various crashes on my iPod, if I posted this data, could someone find out what the problem is? I'm not sure how many people on here use SDK or are developers of any sort but it would be nice to know if this is a software issue or a hardware issue.

Thanks for your feedback.

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If you've restored it and the problem persists, then it's clearly a hardware issue. No point attempting to debug the issue- just call AppleCare.

Best Buy is not going to help you.

6. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Man!!!, u just have it 3 days ago. Go get it replaced!!! or you can act like apple technical guy trying to fix it by yourself for a month and they wouldn't refund you anymore by then.