Defective MacBook Pro Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by molson2k, Nov 17, 2012.

1. molson2k macrumors member

Hello,

I have the latest mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple states that after 1,000 charge cycles, my battery should still have the ability to retain 80% of its original capacity. My MacBook Pro has only gone through 24 charge cycles and it's already down to 89% of its original capacity. (Full charge capacity of the 13-inch MBP should be approximately 5,750 mAh and it's now at 5,130 mAh)

Now, I mostly use the MBP as a desktop replacement connected to an external display in clamshell mode with external mouse and keyboard. I discharge the battery approximately once a week.

Is it because I leave it plugged in almost all the time that has resulted in its capacity being reduced to 89% or do you guys suspect I have a defective battery and I can go into Apple to get it replaced?

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

It probably is. Contact Apple if possible, see what they say.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's fine. If it drops down below 80%, then take it to Apple. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

You should probably read and follow the instructions Apple provides regarding proper battery care.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    Apple probably won't do anything about it until your health is below 80%. If you're cycling your battery weekly, you should be fine. Your health will fluctuate up and down. It's not a straight decline.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. molson2k thread starter macrumors member