Defective MacBook Pro - my rights?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lafamhug, Dec 21, 2015.

1. lafamhug macrumors newbie

In brief, I bought a Macbook Pro online from the Apple Store in June. By end of August it had a complete system failure and I was told I was only entitled to a repair. I took it to an Apple service centre where it was fitted with a new motherboard and screen. When it was returned to me it wouldn't charge plus the passwords/log ins were messed up - I agree to have it sent to a different Apple service centre. This time it was returned to me with a new connection board for the charger, plus two dents in the lid and scratches on the bottom.

Apple agreed to replace it. I returned it to them, they received it on 2 December and dispatched a replacement a week later. The replacement was due for delivery last Monday but the Carriers have 'lost' the parcel. Apple have started an investigation with the Carriers but this leaves me with no computer and Apple with my money. They are not giving me any timescale on the replacement of the replacement.

I have told the person dealing with my case that I no longer want a replacement and I want a refund but I'm getting nowhere. Anyone know my rights and/or who could I contact?

2. DavidDoyle macrumors member

Whereabouts are you based? In the UK my approach would be to send a registered mail detailing the entire story and asking for them to refund me within 28 days or i would be initiating small claims court action.

If you have kept good records/pictures etc then this seems like something that should be heavily in your favour to be resolved.

3. triple-tap macrumors 6502

I would suggest an email to Tim Cook.

You might laugh, but I've read countless stories about the executive customer relations team that answers email sent to tcook@apple.com (or maybe its tcook@icloud.com now?)...

Just a my $.02. You will likely get a much quicker response that you will speaking to an attorney, etc. You also will save the out-of-pocket costs associated with bringing an action (filing fees, attorney's fees, etc.).

The squeaky wheel gets the oil...

4. lafamhug thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I'm in France but I think I'm covered under EU consumer rights. I have documented everything carefully - there's lots of additional things that I didn't include in my post for the sake of not boring everyone. I'll think about writing but I fear in the meantime the replacement will arrive and tbh I want nothing to do with the replacement procedure anymore (i.e. I want a refund so that I can just purchase from fresh).

5. lafamhug thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I'm thinking it's worth a try.

6. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Yes, your consumer rights will be covered here in France under EU legislation. Just as well too that you have retained adequate documentation, photos etc. Most important is to ensure that your reclamation letters to whoever on this issue are always sent by registered mail/recommandé avec avis de reception.
    Please let us know how/when things are resolved.

7. lafamhug thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've learnt to keep copies of everything, including photos of the damaged Mac. I'll update when I have any news on this.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you're going to get your money back. Try to get a replacement and then sell it as a New in the Box unit.

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have been the email route to Tim Cook and can vouch it worked for me. All be it a different situation. I was looking for a replacement after several repairs to my iMac and concerns that I had. My email was detailed and factual. No attitude and straight to the point about my concerns. It was answered within hours of being sent and my iMac was replaced.

It may be worth your time to try it. The worst they can say is no to the refund. But as stated by maflynn, you can always accept the replacement and sell as new replacement. You are not going to lose a ton of money doing that.

10. DavidDoyle macrumors member

Considering the debacle that has been caused I think a full refund should be sought, as the OP requested. UK consumer law (derived from EU consumer law) and by inference French law would favour the customer and not Apple, who frankly have been very negligent here.

The key for me is this : "The replacement was due for delivery last Monday but the Carriers have 'lost' the parcel. Apple have started an investigation with the Carriers but this leaves me with no computer and Apple with my money. They are not giving me any timescale on the replacement of the replacement."

Write in strong terms to Apple detailing the issues with supporting details and state that you demand a refund and will not accept a replacement machine.

You should not be inconvenienced or lose money over this mess.

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

If you haven't emailed Tim Cook about this, do it. My financial issues were taken care of within 2 days of Mr. Cook receiving the detailed email of my situation.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

12. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I'm in NZ but telephone support is from the US. Two times I have had issues - once where there was a slight dent in a new iPad and the following year my iPad had supposedly been delivered but whoever signed for it was not at our office.

They just sent a replacement immediately in both cases. The dented iPad was collected a week or so later.

13. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

@lafamhug

I don't know if the consumer rights in France are different. But In Germany and Austria you have in the first two years the right to get your money back from the seller after at most three non satisfying repairs or replacements and also if a repair/replacement won't be done in an adequate deadline for example.

Maybe those (for me very confusing) sites can help you:

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/france-universal-warranty.html
    http://images.apple.com/fr/legal/statutory-warranty/France_Statutory_Warranty.pdf

In other countries the consumer rights and Apple warranty are compared side by side with annotations at the bottom, but I did not find anything like those for France:

http://www.apple.com/at/legal/statutory-warranty/
    http://www.apple.com/de/legal/statutory-warranty/
    http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
    http://www.apple.com/nl/legal/statutory-warranty/

14. lafamhug thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, apologies for not coming back to update this sooner. I did email Tim Cook but I didn't receive a response.

However, I continued to argue my case and I eventually received a full refund in mid January. I'm still computerless at the moment as my faith in Apple is very dented.