Defective MacPro 09 video cards, do this simple test...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleWorking, Apr 15, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

To test your system:

Open your "System Preferences" panel

Choose "Appearance"

On the bottom of this panel where it says, "Font smoothing style" choose "Light"​

Now close out "System Preferences" and also close TextEdit, if you had it open.

Note: You have to close the application and relaunch it for the changes to be seen.

Now launch TextEdit and bring down the Edit or Format menu and take a look... Do some of the letters on the drop down menu have rainbow colored edges? Slightly colorful edges and not black or dithered grey?

This seems to be a problem when in Vista with bootcamp as well.

The driver version does not matter, since I am running the new catalyst drivers in bootcamp and the older drivers used by Apple in OSX.

I have also tried both ports on the 4870, the mini and DVI, no difference.

I think this could be a problem with certain cards, or maybe even with all cards. Not sure really. It'll show up when doing word processing. Pretty annoying.

Thanks for checking this out.

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I don't see it on my. Is it suppose to very noticeable? I'm usually not sensitive to these things.

3. Styxie macrumors member

4. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

5. wibongo macrumors newbie

I don't have the problem on mine. 2.26 Octo, 4870 and 12GB of OWC ram.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Nope.

No problem here on my 2009 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.93GHz (NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512M) + Apple 24" LED Cinema Display.

What are you trying to prove?

7. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

LOL Not trying to prove a thing. I came to find out it has to be the AA. I have seen it on nine 2009 MacPro's, and a ton of windows boxes. It is a red/blue tint around fonts. If you don't see it I would assume you either have a really good monitor, or you're blind. I mean how can so many computers with so many different GPU's have it. If something is wrong, though, I would want to know while still under warranty. But like I said, it appears to be typical of font aliasing.

8. Ploki macrumors 68000

make a screen shot..
    will be easier to compare.

9. wedgehammer macrumors newbie

can't see it on mine (usually sensitive about these things)... i have the 4870 and an hp lp3065 (30" lcd)

10. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I do not see the problem you are describing under normal circumstances.

However, if you enable the ZOOM feature in Universal Access, then zoom right in to a menu, you do see colours around characters, but this is normal for this method of anti-aliasing.

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've seen this with all sorts of computers and GPUs. Hardly unique to the '09 machines. :)

12. jons macrumors 6502

13. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

14. the dubshow macrumors newbie

09 2.66 octa w/ 4870 working fine for me. I just had a slight fan click that a tap solved.