Defective magsafe charger or what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 20, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

a lot of times when i let the magsafe get magnetically attracted to the port, it aligns crookedly (the side-butt round part of it sticking up a little bit) and I gotta push my thumb down to align it in place, flush with the machine edge. I can also do this and it will land straight but not if I'm being sloppy and careless with the magnetic attraction -- more so than the other 3 unibody MacBook Pro's I've had with the same macbook air charger).

Do you think the cable is defective, the port, or what can explain this happening?

thanks!

This seems plausible but silly (and something that I think might be the case after trying to see it connect while holding it in the air) - the cable is so thick, it's at a weird angle and forcing the cable up. Because when I lay the cable paralllel with the edges (running from the back of my desk), I don't think it does this but I will try it out and fidget with it.

2. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Maybe stop by a local BestBuy or Apple store and try their chargers and see if everything aligns perfectly.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Hmmm yeah it stills seems to be doing it with my computer.

Any more advice?

Tried it on my buddy's classic MacBook Pro (the magsafe adapter) and it does the same thing.

Also, tried the classic adapter on mine and it has the same fit as on his. So I don't think it's my port, I think the cable is either defective or just more strongly magnetized and needs to be corrected with a push or something.

What do you think? The computer is otherwise great, and a swap from another machine. Do you think the apple store will let me swap out the magsafe cable or something alone?