Defective MBP Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martinmartin, Apr 2, 2008.

1. martinmartin macrumors 6502

Is my battery defective?

(Computer was purchased new 9 months ago)

Edit: 5 load-cycles can't be right. I also have 'iStat' which indicates 234 cycles, which sounds more likely...

Attached Files:

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

If that cycle count is correct, then OMG yes, that is definitely a defective battery. You may be eligible for this battery exchange program

EDIT: Even with 234 cycles, that is still too drained for a normal battery.

3. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Older versions of coconutBattery produced wonky numbers in Leopard.

Upgrade to 2.6.2, or try Battery Health Monitor.

However, regardless if it's five cycles or 234, according to Apple, a well-conditioned battery at 300 cycles should retain 80% capacity. Make a visit to the Apple Store - hopefully they'll just replace it for you.

EDIT: Weird, I don't see 2.6.2 on Coconut's site. Just download 2.6.1 and do a check for updates.

4. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Updated to 2.6.2

(I found that this info. is also in 'System Profiler')

On the phone with Apple - they are sending a replacement. They told me a local store wouldn't be able to give me a new one, though I might try that next as I'm leaving the country Saturday and would like the new battery before then.

Attached Files:

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

These days Apple seem to be far more flexible with battery issues and are more willing to replace a defective unit. I had mine replaced a few months back. They make the process pretty easy too. They'll ask for a bit of information available in System Profiler and if it meets their criteria, they'll send you a new one and a postage prepaid box to return the old one. Just make sure you send it back promptly or else they'll charge you.

6. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I wouldn't worry too much about getting it in time. Every time I, or someone I know, have had a battery, charger, etc. replaced, it was sent overnight.

7. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

I went ahead and went into a local Apple Store and a 'Genius' was able to swap out the battery for me.

As for the one they're mailing out, I guess I'll just refuse it.

I called back to cancel, but they told me they couldn't cancel the repair...

They were all pretty easy about getting the battery replaced.

I hope this one fares better.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Hopefully someone will see this so I don't have to start another thread.

I'm in a similar situation, my battery is at 254 cycles and 65% health (3600 mAh). Is this normal or covered under warranty?

9. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

depends how long you've had the computer.

if you're under 1 year, you might be set. if you have applecare, you might be set.

either way, call 1800aplcare. apple says your battery should have at least 80% health at 300 cycles...

10. Gen3tix macrumors newbie

I don't feel like starting a new thread, but I just noticed that my battery's health was really low. I never really looked at it until I realized how quickly my battery was draining over the past few days.

I'm the same as the OP, purchased my MBP about 9 months ago (late July, Early August). I only take it out a few times a month, so I only have 60 cycles (according to iStat, System Profiler, and Coconut). However...my battery's at 38% health (2176 mAh)! :eek:

I'll be taking it in to the local Apple Store this weekend and hopefully, I'll get a new battery.

11. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

If you have Apple Care, are the batteries covered as long as you have coverage?

12. martinmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think you'll have any problem getting a new battery.

To the OP, not sure if AppleCare covers the battery for the life of AppleCare (3 years).

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

As far as I am aware, batteries are only covered for one year. Otherwise Apple would be giving out new ones every year to those with Applecare. ;)