Defective mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

hi, my wife bought a mini 4 at Best Buy yesterday. The screen has some horizontal lines and seems to be defective. Can I take this to an Apple Store for replacement or do I have to go to Best Buy? I'd rather go to apple. Thanks.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not sure about your country's warranty policy but I would take it back to where it was purchased to get it swapped out.

Apple will look at it like a warranty thing and you want it replaced with new.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Return it to Best Buy, as you are with in their return policy. They will either refund the purchase or return it for a new unit. If you were outside your return period with Best Buy and you went through Apple, they would only issue you a warranty replacement Mini.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Honestly I actually like Apple's replacement devices.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

They are good. Apple does a good job with ensuring you are receiving an almost like new device and it has a warranty as well.

6. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

So, interesting. I took it to the Apple Store. They said that they "could" replace it, but we were urged to take it back to Best Buy. Something about how the box wouldn't match the serial number of the new one. It was kind of a weird reason. Wouldn't they just give me a new iPad in a new box?

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You'd bring the iPad in the box, receipt and all accessories and Best Buy would swap it out for a brand new device.

Maybe because you're within the return period that's why the Genius advised you take it back to BBUY.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

In the USA:
    • Within the return period, take it to the retailer to exchange for a new device.
    • Outside of the return period but within the warranty period, take it to Apple to exchange for a refurbished device.
    • Outside of mfr warranty, but inside your credit card's purchase protection benefit (warranty extension), take it to a repair shop, get it repaired, and make a claim with your credit card (I did this).
    • Outside of all of these periods, take it to a repair shop and pay out of pocket if it is worth repairing, or toss if it is not.