Defective monitors on iPhone SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sandbo, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Sandbo, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

Sandbo macrumors newbie

Sandbo

I am sharing my extremely bad experience with Apple recently, for your reference in case you are about to buy an iPhone SE. This is excessively long, but I just want to tell my own story.

Background
    I having been using Android phones for years. I swapped once for my Nexus 4 due to dead pixel; then spent 1.5 year on it. Later I swapped to an ASUS phone and never needed a swap, still using it. Lately with the price dropped on SE I wanted to make a try. I have been using iPad for a good while, the 2, 4 and then Air 2. I swapped once for the Air 2 as there was a blur somewhere, then with the 2nd one I have been a happy owner for 1.5 year.

1st Phone
    The first phone I got last Thursday was a black SE, 64 GB. It initially looked amazing, while with more use, especially to a point when I was able to scroll on Facebook or emails, I could see a pretty obvious transition of color from normal to yellowish when text/picture approached the top of the screen. (Night shift was OFF if that helps)
    Then searching on the web I realized people also talked about the yellow screen problem, and some were having the same thing where the top of the screen was particularly discolored.

2nd Phone
    So I decided I could try another, which I also switched the color to gold, that's the one I meant to buy but was out of stock earlier. Getting home, spending an hour to set it up and recovering the profile, then I could see a very similar result as I could on the first phone, yellow transition towards the top. The yellowing happens only at the top and wasn't anywhere else.
    I thought it might be normal, why don't I just bring it back to Apple and check with the ones in the showroom?
    As I did, the other phones shown there were virtually free from this yellowing (side by side, both with a while background), at least not as pronouced.

3rd Phone
    By the time I got there 2nd phone was 4 days in use, which should have been good for any glue talks to be dismissed (I won't wait two weeks for glue).
    It took me some effort to convince that there was the issue, while I personally found it to be obvious and I was open to any blind tests. I was exchanging for another Gold SE 64 GB, hoping it would be better. The guys offer to help me with personal setup and that's what I did. On site the third phone's monitor looks fine. I didn't find any yellowing on the screen when comparing to the showroom's.
    However, I could feel a clear rattling sound in the vibration, and I immediately found the difference when I set up the touch ID. Talking to the tech, the very impolite guy toggle the vibration button 5 times in a seconds and said it's all fine. Fine. I was convince it's OK to have some craps in it, despite I can't believe how these guys in store were treating customers, my phone was like junk from his point of view.
    As you are aware, the light in Apple store is rather bright, which indeed makes defects on screen harder to be spotted, and that's the case for the 3rd phone.
    After I got home, under normal lighting of a living room, I immediately noticed there was a mark under the screen, which I certainly cannot erase from the glass.
    You can check out the video I took:
    https://goo.gl/photos/bxbieAGwBuZcSQ6q6

Bringing this to the store, a senior sales guy, or someone like a manager was checking on it. He said he couldn't see the mark while I still could, but that was understandable given the light being so bright. He was asking why he couldn't see it here while I could at home, like I am taking video of a different phone. I told him to check it at the back, but he kind of dismissed that.
    I requested the 4th phone, and that would be my last call, enough time wasted. I have already bought a few more accessories and they would be useless, so I wanna give it the last chance.

4th Phone
    I got the 4th phone, figuring that it means nothing to rush the check in-store, I left and unboxed it at home. On first glance the screen looks OK, except for a small mark when viewed from an angle of 170 degree, I was sucking it up. However, later on after I had set it up fully, where I could start browsing Facebook and checking emails, if my eyes were to follow the mails/messages, I could clearly see a shadow at the middle, on the left edge of the screen. I then tilted the phone and checked what happened there, and you can see the attached photo. There is dark dent over the edge where the shadow was spotted, dead LED, or something else was blocking the light. This is rather annoying so I decided there was no way I could accept it.
    P_20160923_003326_HDR.jpg

So I went back to the store just to return the phone, as I was fully convinced that I won't get a fully functional phone from Apple, at least for the SE. The sales took it on, check my photo above, but didn't bother to check the phone and he started the return. Then the manager spotted me, came over with a rather concerned tone asking me what's the problem with the phone. I showed him the picture, and he was kind of annoyed about how little an issue like this was. He spoke to his subordinates, saying that "return the phone, and don't sell him any phones", then he left. I was speechless, as I was the one who already told him last time I won't make a fifth try.

The story ends here, and so does my trade with Apple. Being a tech guy I know I wouldn't get the best tech spec for the price if I go for Apple, but it was the quality of service, and quality control of products which I was buying into. It ends up, this is the quality of product, and this is the quality of service that they are trying to sell.

To sum up, as a friend later mentioned to me, phones like 5C, SE exist for a "reason". If one wants to make sure the product is normal, go for 6S or above.

PS: I changed the title as it looks I was making a bold statement with a tiny sample pool.

tag: yellow monitor, yellow edge, dead led, mark under monitor, defective screen monitor, iPhone SE, bad quality control

2. syphern macrumors 6502

I had a SE and it was fine. Also remember the screens are old tech they are iPhone 5 screens so they won't be as high quality.

Also he shouldn't have said not to sell you any phones. I would have bought one and returned it lol who's he to tell me what I cannot buy. They have an exchange policy that doesn't limit the number of exchanges afaik

3. thadoggfather, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Love my 64 SE but won't deny there are qc issues.

Got a keeper and won't part with it. Screens a little warm up top, everything else is great. Build, screen, no vertical lines, never toasty and tsmc a9/ great battery. Woo

Oh and jail broken :D

4. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Wow, that's quite a story. My son has an SE and it's perfect and he loves it. I guess either he has been freakishly lucky or you have been freakishly unlucky.

Looking on the positive side, at least none of the iPhones you tried exploded. Hopefully you'll be as fortunate with your next android phone!

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Your post sounds quite obsessive. I would move on and possibly seek some therapy.

6. Sandbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sandbo

This is their store and their business, they have the very rights to knock someone they don't want to do business with out of their doors, this I fully agree to.
    But if that's the case, I could only say that they want to sell phones to those who couldn't spot anything and will be happy with whatever they give. I just realized I wasn't the type of customers they are looking for.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2016 ---
    If that's the case, I should be roaring about my 5th phone. I am probably more persistant on making sure my money was well spent, but I did know when to stop, despite I was wrong about what to expect.

7. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

Beside Note 7 has battery issue, which Android phone exploded like Note 7? It is not like iPhone never exploded, and you seems think all Android phone will explode.

I have own more than 20 Android phones in las few years. Motorola, Samsung, Huawei, Asus, LG, ZTC etc. None of my 20 Andriod phone exploded, however some Android phones I have charged faster than iPhone!

8. Sandbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sandbo

Don't take it too seriously, just know what you are buying.

Regarding luck, it's not about luck when you have 4 phones showing different issues in a row,
    it's a choice, it's about how much they concern about their products, and what they think their customers actually are.

9. kerrikins macrumors 65816

The iPhone hasn't had the sort of mass recall issue that Samsung has.

OP, I had an issue with my SE when I got it and actually ended up returning it because the screen was much warmer than my old phone and really bothered me, and I know many others on this forum had the same problem. It may be something that is still endemic to the SE.

10. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Um, may I direct you to the posts on this very board concerning the 7 and 7+, with titles like "Yellowgate," "7 Brightness Issues," "Buzzing Sounds," etc....

Anyway, the screen on my SE seems fine. Sorry you've had issues with yours...

11. Sandbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sandbo

Glad to know you received a phone you like, it is a fine product less the defects.
    I certainly did think there were working devices, though at the end my standard seems to be ridiculously high to Apple,
    otherwise I wouldn't have started exchanging at all.

Apart from the 100% failure rate, I am the most pissed by their geniuses and the fanatic sales.
    They refused to work with customers to resolve the issues (I mentioned to them after the 2nd phone, asking what was the best thing to do besides getting a new one blindly).
    Instead of getting rid of problems, they simply got rid of people who found the problems. I wouldn't have this much to say if they felt a bit of sorry for my case.

12. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

And the manager did the right thing. If OP is so obsessed, he needs to find a different phone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2016 ---
    Lots of businesses will kick problem customers like you to the curb. Time for you to move on.

13. Sandbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sandbo

The way broken devices were delivered one after another, was nothing more than a freak show of their quality control.
    I knew clearly when to move on, and I didn't have anyone to remind me, at the end it's my own time I wasted while they are getting paid.

I bet lots of business also enjoy customers like you who simply submit to everything, well, at the end it's the demand and supply.

14. aohus macrumors 68000

15. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Dude you got some problems with OCD. Time for you to move on.

16. Sandbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sandbo

You may call me OCD and I am cool with it, people have their own point of view and nothing is wrong with that.
    I wasn't here to ask for sympathy; having told the full story I wouldn't mind people to judge.

It is after all a choice of yours for how you like your purchase;
    here's what happened to me, while I wish noone is going to repeat it, an adjustment of expectation is the least I can give.

17. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I am glad the store manager cut you off. People like you just end up raising the prices for the rest of us.

18. Leo90 macrumors 6502

And people like you without compassion are the reason our world is so messed up at the moment.

OP, I am sorry to read your bad experience with SE. I have one SE without any issues whatsoever and I love the phone. Good luck next time but dont buy from that store ever again. Customer care should be taken more seriously by this branch.

19. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

Get you a 6s. Also keep in mind no matter what brand you buy some screens will have variations. Nothing is totally perfect. I'd go back to that store when that manager isn't there and buy another one if you really want it. :)

20. jaybeem87 macrumors member

Actually it is all to do with luck. Out of the millions that were massed produced you managed to have 4 bad ones and 2 of those had the same issue (sounds like phone 1 and 2 had the same issue from your story above).

Sorry to hear you had these issues but all companies expect products to contain defects of some level hence why offer returns/exchanges.

21. cola79 macrumors regular

It's pretty normal for all phones up to 5s. They all got the same bad screens.

You do not see this in bright sunlight or strong artificial light like in sale rooms or some households.

I can live with the yellowish top of my SE, as it mostly only annoys me in landscape mode.

I would suggest you to swap things just once. If they don't meet your expectations at second try, they likely never will, and you should look for other brands.

Saves you and the shops a lot of stress and anger. Nobody will hate you for returning something one time and you will not feel fooled anymore.

Life can be more than being a customer.

22. Sandbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sandbo

This.
    I actually don't swap things this often, as I also mentioned in my previous experience, no phones or tablets were swapped more than once before I had arrived at something I was willing to pay for. Be it extraordinary bad luck, or not, I simply didn't believe 2 or 3 swaps led me nowhere, and that was with Apple. And I for sure knew there is more to life, so I told the guy the forth phone was my last trade.

At the end, at least I have this story to share which I hope it helps. So people know when to stop, and what to stop bothering with.

23. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

There are bigger things to worry about when it comes to electronics, especially phones but

If it bugs the OP that much (because of "OCD" or whatever) then he or she should just move onto another phone that gives him or her less stress of having to trek to and from the store, and the multiple restores (or at the very least set up processes). We all don't need the same phone. It's the same reason I don't tell my android friends to move over to apple and vice versa.

The manager shouldn't have said that within earshot of him or her either; it's really unprofessional.

But the manager has a right to feel frustration as well.

We're all entitled to our feelings.

24. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Glad you got CUT OFF!!!!!