Defective NVIDIA 8600 GT - MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz (more problems developing...)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonBook Pro, Feb 22, 2010.

1. JonBook Pro macrumors member

Hi, I swear I had an account on here in the past. Must of been another forum.

Anyway, to get started - I just got my refund from Apple after I spoke to them regarding the NVIDIA 8600 GT issue that has recently plagued my notebook. (It originally wouldn't boot, no chime - nothing. So the Apple Store charged me $310.00 for the flat rate repair job. Got the notebook a few days later and found the phrase "Replaced - Graphics Processor Issue on MLB". Called them back, they opened up an investigation and issued my refund a week later.)

Anyhow, a few days after the repair, I noticed that my MacBook's fans started making a grinding sound. Granted, it was before the video card failure (and I had hoped they would fix it) but the noise seems to be more apparent after I got it back. Seems like the issue had manifested to both fans. Plus, my video card seems to be running hotter than usual. I'm getting 74° C just by browsing the web. I did some research and I guess this is somewhat normal for the video card, but it doesn't seem real encouraging. I also notice a faint smell coming from the ventilation gap on the back of the computer. I don't want to say it's the smell of burning plastic, but it's somewhere around that range. Not sure how to describe it.

At this point, I'm really not sure what to do. I'm hoping Apple will repair these issues, but I'm not counting on it. Any advice?

2. espressivo macrumors newbie

I just had the same problem on my early 2008 macbook pro; was charged the $310 fee and go "Graphics Processor Issue on MLB" Who did you call to fight this charge? They originally said it wasn't the graphics but I want a refund if I can get it. Did you call apple support or your local apple store?

Thanks!

3. JonBook Pro thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late response. You're not referring to the unibody MacBook Pro, are you?

If not, I contacted Apple via phone support and had them elevate my case to a supervisor. From there, they handled everything. They didn't tell me they were going to refund my money directly but I received a check a few days later.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

the early 2008 MBP's are not unibodies. They have the defective 8600M GPU's.

5. iuzila macrumors newbie

same exact issues. paid about 330 for the flat rate repairs and got it back. under symptom, it says "graphics processor issue on mlb." hopefully i'm getting a refund!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Contact Apple with the repair number and you should get a refund.

7. iuzila macrumors newbie

just got off the phone with a supervisor. it's a go no, sadly. he called the apple store i went to and talked to the employee who looked at my computer. on the original paper were the details of the laptop, such as "no boot, no chime," etc and because it didn't boot up, it didn't quality for the refund because the article online states the GPU is at fault only if the computer turns on..something like that. i told him that on the product repair summary it clearly states "graphics processor issue on mlb" and at first he wasn't sure, but then at the end said it was a separate problem?? (because my computer originally wouldnt turn on anyways, so they couldn't check whether it was the GPU anyhow). :confused: so he's saying that once they got the laptop to boot, they then discovered there was an issue with the GPU.

he was really nice about it, saying stuff like ' i really wish i had better news to give you' blahblahblah, but i just want my refund dangit!