Defective OS X Install Discs shiping with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robby818, Oct 20, 2008.

1. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I just got my MacBook Pro (actually two of them). I am trying to boot off the grey OS X Install Disc and I can't....I tried both copies of the discs. I can't even see the discs on the desktop. the drive jsut makes a noise over and over again like its trying to load it. Then it just ejects it. The discs feel physically thicker than most DVDs which may be a problem.

I tried booting off a leopard DVD (retail) and it just reboots into the white screen.

Anyone else have a problem with the restore DVDs?

2. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

I recently had a computer melt down (See thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=584013). When I tried doing an archive and install the install failed. When I tried to verify the disk and the disk permissions both verifications failed. The apple IT guy assured me that it was not the DVD, but both the install and Disk Utility are on the same DVD so I wondered. But I was able to start up from the DVD, so certainly not the same problem you are having.

3. robby818 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm..ok like I said I happen to have two of the new MBPs here.

Well, no matter what I do I cannot get MBP#1 to boot from the install disc. However, MBP#2 boots from the same DVD. So it's probably not the DVD. I think something is wrong with the DVD drive on MBP#1. :( Or maybe it is a boot from DVD issue, I could not even boot from a Leopard retail disc. Maybe a PRAM reset will fix it? Anything else to try before sending it back?

While we are on the subject of defects, on MBP#2 the top row of the keyboard has keys that are all at a slight angle. :eek:

4. KSpider macrumors regular

I bought a 2.4 (previous model) MBP 3 months ago and it's install disks didnt work, Apple sent me new ones at no charge.

my new MBP's install disks work fine though.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If one of the computers won't boot but the other will, then it's probably the drive. I had a similar problem with my 2006 MBP and the repair centre replaced the drive, no questions asked.