Defective Pro Battery? (Sorry for this being the 8 millionth thread on this...)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeestieHalls, Jul 10, 2010.

1. BeestieHalls macrumors member

So like the title says, Im sorry about this thread being like all the others out there like it, but I'm not sure that I have a problem or not...

I just got my pro last week (13 inch base with a 320 gig HD) and the battery life hasn't wowed me, to say the least. I calibrated it the first time I used it (correctly) and I'm having problems...

Coconut battery has said that the original battery capacity keeps decreasing. I remember when I first got it, it said 99% original capacity, and now its down to 97% of original capacity (5621mAh out of 5770 mAh)

The battery lasts about 4 hours. The longest that the estimated time remaining has said was like 4:21, never any more. This is with the backlit keyboard off, auto dimming down, and screen at half brightness. My friend just got the same model that I did and he says his has lasted the full 8.

Im not expecting to get 10 hours... But I was thinking at least 6.

Basically my question is will Apple laugh at me if I call? I have AppleCare. Has anyone else had a problem like mine?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you had read at least two or three of those 8 million threads, you'd know you don't have a problem.

Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What did you do with your MBP during those times?

Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

The more CPU is used, the more power is drawn, the less the battery "lasts" on a single charge.

Btw, have you even read any of the thousands (not millions yet, but we're getting close, three at least today) threads?

4. BeestieHalls thread starter macrumors member

I've done nothing more than surf the internet and organize my itunes.

I have read that FAQ and it talks about fluctuations, mine hasnt fluctuated. Its only decreased. I just find it hard to believe that this is what a new battery from a pro is like this....

And yes, I have read the other threads. I'm just not sure that anyone has had a decreasing battery cell problem like I have

5. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

What type of internet surfing?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A decrease IS a fluctuation. A drop of 2-3% is absolutely not an issue. Seriously, if you take the time to read a few threads on this, you'll see your same questions repeated again and again, with the same answer: don't worry about it. It's perfectly normal. You can find the "8 million threads" easily with MRoogle.

7. BeestieHalls thread starter macrumors member

Just basic browsing... Not even videos. eBay, Facebook, etc.

8. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Well it must be normal but in my high end 13" MBP the battery lasts more than 4 hours. Actually I've been on battery power for about 5 hours before writing this and it's still at 44% charge and saying 4 hours left! keyboard lights off and brightness at half. But I've only been web browsing forums, and watched a 10 min video but that's about it.

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

4 hours with half dimness and the backlight off is way too short, unless you happen to be rendering Final Cut in the background.

Basic browsing and such is not enough of a resource hog to halve the battery life. I would take it in and have a Genius look at it.

10. M-B-P macrumors regular

i'm having a similar issue. After a full charge it will read about 4-5 hrs when I initially turn it on and even if I am just messing around using Finder for a few minutes it won't go far beyond that. I have the brightness 1 or 2 levels below half, no backlit, no bluetooth. Even when I am casually web browsing (Google Chrome WITH Flash Block extension) on "light" sites it won't last more than 4-5 hrs. I do nothing too taxing on the battery. I just got this new 13'' about 5-6 weeks ago and the battery has pretty much been like this. I never expected 10 hrs, but somewhere between 7-8. That doesn't seem to normal to me, and yes I have calibrated it. I paid a lot of money for a machine advertising 10 hrs that shows 4:25 after a full charge, which doesn't make me feel like I am getting my money's worth.

Should I call Apple support and see what they say or just make an appointment with a Genius? I mean do they have any tests to check if the battery if functioning like it should be at the Genius bar? From your experiences which is the better route to for this type of problem?

Look what I just found->http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=964379
    Check out the battery life that people with the 15'' are posting:
    TheBritishBloke:
    "I squeezed 7 out of it with airport turned on and web browsing at high brightness (outside)."