defective ram?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbstew32, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jbstew32 macrumors regular

about a year and a half ago, I purchased a 2GB DIMM for my late 2006 white MacBook. Everything seemed to be running fine.

My top case was cracking, so I took it to the Apple Store for replacement. They called me to pick up my laptop, but when I did, they informed me that they had run additional diagnostics. They concluded that the 3rd party RAM I had was "bad" with no further details. They said it failed their proprietary memory check and removed it from my MacBook.

My question is, how reliable is what they told me? I never had any issues with this memory before, so now I'm struggling with whether I should take time to RMA the memory and hope that the company reaches the same conclusion as Apple, or if I should just put it back in and continue using my laptop as before.

any thoughts?

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

i cant see any harm in putting it back in. If your machine starts playing up you can always take it out again... :)

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can run the Apple Hardware Test with the chip installed. Not certain what, if any, difference there is between the memory tests on the AHT or the Apple Service Diagnostics. If you get an error with 4MEM in it, its RAM.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Who did you buy it from? If you are lucky and bought it from OWC, request a RMA number for a return and they will send you new RAM. It sent RAM back to them with no questions asked. All they told me was to send back 2 sticks so I get a matching pair in return.