Defective VZW iPhone 4 - should I wait for iPhone 5 to replace?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cg2006, Aug 30, 2011.

1. cg2006 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some insight into this. The past few weeks my iPhone 4 (purchased in Feb 2011) began acting faulty. No sound comes out of my headphone speaker. I can only hear the person on the other line by putting them on speakerphone.

With Apple's 1 year warranty on iPhone replacements, would it be smarter to wait for the iPhone 5 to release and hope sometime maybe in October or November (once Apple Stores have extinguished their iPhone 4 models) to bring it in and hopefully receive an iPhone 5 in replacement?

Has anyone had such luck?

Thanks.

2. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

doubt you'll have much luck into getting into a 5. since the iphone 4 launched in feb, they will have a bunch of replacement models to give. especially since you wont be the only person hoping to do the same thing. Might as well try and get a replacement now, sell that when the 5 comes out and pay the difference.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Your scenario will not happen. Apple will replace your faulty iPhone 4 with another iPhone 4.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Would it be smarter for Apple to replace the product you purchased or essentially give you a iPhone 5 for free? What makes you think that you should receive an iPhone 5 for an iPhone 4?

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You turn in a 3GS, you get a 3GS.
    You turn in a 4, you get a 4

You BOUGHT a 4..what makes you think you have a right to anything else?

6. cg2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard that Apple stores usually extinguish their older models within a month of getting the new models in. That is why I asked.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Nope, they'll have iPhone 4 refurbs available for exchange for a few years.

8. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Then why would anyone buy a new model? :rolleyes:

9. cg2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the warranty is only good for 1 year and your phone would have to show a technical defect to get a replacement so not everyone would be able to do this.

10. jtara macrumors 65816

OP is expecting normal Verizon policies. Verizon is pretty liberal about exchanges, one reason being the horrible third-party equipment insurance they offer through Asurion. Verizon store managers routinely replace crappy Asurion refurbs with new phones, often a newer model to keep customers happy. Presumably they can afford to do this because Asurion charges so much for insurance, and Verizon gets a cut.

They also are liberal about failed equipment even when Asurion isn't involved to muck things up more.

How liberal they are with iPhones, though, I dunno, since I haven't been with Verizon for years (since I first got an iPhone.)

My friends with Androids show-off their shiney-new models every few months, after Verizon replaces yet another bad Android phone with a new model and a prayer.

But, no, Apple doesn't extinguish their old models. They keep PLENTY available for replacements. I've actually never heard of anybody getting a newer phone from Apple as a replacement for a failed phone.