Defects on the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raquiros, Jun 25, 2008.

1. raquiros macrumors member

raquiros

As everything in this world, nothing is perfect... so I would like to hear from you comments regarding the "defects" you consider the MBP...

For me they're the following:

1. Horrible sound on the CD Tray (Insert/Eject)
    2. Heats a lot when performing multiple tasks or heavy gaming
    3. Lack of USB ports...
    4. The angle of the screen is very limited

I think these are the only defects on my personal opinion, besides that is a great laptop.... what do you think?

2. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Off the top of my head, the biggest things keeping me from buying a Macbook Pro are:

1. The tilt angle of the screen is very limited. I personally push my screen down fairly often since I like to check my email while standing up. I also like to occasionally use my laptop on my lap, which (for me, anyway) requires the screen to be pushed back farther than the MBP's screen will go.

2. Text on a Mac appears fuzzy and/or blurry to me, which literally gives me a headache (unfortunately). This is a serious bummer, since there's not really a workaround for font rendering. For whatever reason, text on a PC / Windows appears crisper and sharper to me.

3. The lack of dedicated Home and End buttons. I know there are keyboard shortcuts, but I really like the dedicated buttons.

4. Price. The discounts (coupons, EPP, etc) that are available on a new or refurb Dell m1330 or m1530 are much better than what's available for a Macbook Pro new or refurb machine.

These may not be "defects", per se, but they do keep me from buying a MBP.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I think its silly that there are minimal differences between a MBP and a MB, with that being video card and screen size.

4. Joel Beason macrumors member

I agree with the lack of angle and usb ports, but I just bought a little adapter that adds on 3 other ports so its fine. As for the heat, its not really a problem for me I just live with it, its a powerful machine so it gets realllly hot

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

but those differences give the MBP that much more performance. Not to mention the MBP ships with faster CPUs.

same can be said with any other laptop, not just MB vs. MBP.

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Firewire 800, lighted keyboard, expresscard slot, dual-link DVI?

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

1. Horrible sound on CD tray? Doesn't bother me at all. To each his own.

2. This is such an obvious consequence of gaming or heavy load that it is laughable to include it in a list of gripes.

3. Personally two is enough for me (iPhone + mouse). But you can always get a hub if you need more.

4. I don't mind the screen angle -- but it definitely doesn't go anywhere near as far back as my old PowerBook G4 did....it could go so far back the back panel of the LCD was almost touching the surface which the PowerBook was set atop!

8. Crossbone macrumors regular

That what makes a MacBook Pro, and that's why we love em so much :) :apple:

9. Marc4 macrumors member

You forgot multi-touch trackpad :D

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

11. gr8bob macrumors regular

Once it's serviced by the Apple technician, it won't look like the same ever again. There's bound to be some loose fittings/dents/scratches on the screw holes..

Just had my MBP serviced due to logic board failure, took almost 2 friggin week and it came back all dirty and all the symptoms described above. And now the right fan doesn't spins anymore and it's heating up like hell.. going to ask for a direct replacement.. can't stand this sh*tz anymore..:mad:

12. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I assume your question is about what the MBP "design" defects are (i.e. characteristics in units that are perfect).

From my point of view:

- limited angle of the screen. Far too narrow. I have difficulties in using it.

- I had 2 screens on my MBP (AUO and Samsung) and they are both worse than lamp-based screens on high-end pc notebooks.

- 2 usb ports are not enough. I did not realize how important the third port on my old laptop was.

- I miss all the leds and lights indicating hardware activities. Even in this case, I was wrong when I thought they were not "important". In some moments, you cannot know whether or not the MBP is working.

- I agree with who says the case is quite delicate. My MBP went in for repairs and the shell of the screen is no longer as "new". Anyway I think this is almost inevitable with aluminum cases.

- May be it's just me but I still cannot get used to the keyboard. It's like the keys are too small and tight. I bought an external slim aluminum keyboard and the spacing of the keys (similar to the MB) is fantastic.

thistle

13. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Screen angle bugs me occasionally (like when I'm sitting on the train watching a DVD with my knees up), but isn't that big a deal. I can still see images and text clearly enough at a slightly off-angle that I don't mind so much.

Have to agree with the horrible noise the DVD player makes when accepting and ejecting discs, though. Every time I do either, I swear it's shredding the disc.

Then again, since I know it's not, I'm learning to live with it.

14. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Nearly everyone replied to this thread says that the screen angle is very limited. I'm currently using a MacBook and able to tilt the screen enough for my needs.

My MacBook Pro is on it's way from Apple Store and I just can't wait to get my hands on it! :) Should be here "on or before 4 Jul - 8 Jul...

Is the angle even more reduced on the MBP than on the MB?

15. g00k macrumors regular

HELP
    my NEW mbp is making strange sounds on the left side of the soundboxes...
    is there the harddisk? or just my soundboxes corrupt?
    especially if i use "garbagesounds" this noise comes as long as i move the notebook a little or press the case a bit... need help
    i just got it today and its already defected i am starting to hate apple...
    taking 2000 dollars from me and giving me such a ****** notebook...
    i had 0 fun today