Defend your game

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

What is a game you have (or rented) that you really enjoyed, but other people hate? Friends, people on MacRumors, etc have trash talked the game, or are annoyed that you recommended it and they "wasted money" on it. I'm sure everyone has at least one game that they liked that most other people did not, so let's all get it out in the open.

Mine? Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz (Wii). I bought it on launch day, and it was a great, great choice. The multiplayer has been a ton of fun for the little kids during holidays, but I really liked the main game. It was the first "marble" game I played since the NES, and it was so much fun to go to that genre, and done so well. I played levels over and over that I couldn't get, but still had fun doing it. Even when I was frustrated with a level, it was in a way that made me laugh. I even enjoyed some of the multiplayer games by myself, like the squash game. I'd say this game got as much, if not more, play time than Zelda when I first got the system. There was even a period where I played this almost exclusively even though I had 4 games. So, yeah, a couple of my friends are annoyed that I said it was a good game and they bought it and hated it, but I still think it's a good one. I even just put it back in the Wii and played some levels again, which is what made me think of this thread :).

So what's your game?

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sonic Adventure 2 and Rogue Squadron 3.

SA2 was enjoyable to me despite horrid graphics by GameCube standards, but many people hated the game. I overlooked the many flaws and enjoyed it.

Rogue Squadron 3...kind of the same...it was a sequel to Rogue Squadron 2 but added really poor on-foot levels and barely-playable vehicle stages. I just dealt with the on-foot levels and enjoyed the flight stages. Some people here (you know who you are ;) ) hate the game so much so as to swear off Factor 5 permanently, which I consider a massive overreaction.

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Maybe we should have the opposite of this thread: defend the reasons why you hate a game everyone loved.

I really liked Command & Conquer 3 but people bash it for being similar to the first game (that's what makes it so great) and because it's made by EA, it's a pretty great game with good pacing, good graphics and good gameplay mechanics facilitated by a streamlined interface.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sonic on the Ps3... oh wait thats not me..

Chromehounds turned out to be a killer game on LIVE! despite having bland graphics, a terrible single player campaign and possibly the worst demo for a game ever released on marketplace.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I really like Magical Starsign DS -- more so than any other DS RGP I've played, but others that say they like RPGs, won't even try it. :(

Most of the games I like, Jimmmmmmmmi has written off, because he's only played them for like 20 minutes, then passed judgment... :eek:

-- -- --

RS3 and Vomit are one in the same. RS2 and X-Wing Arcade weren't even good enough to pull it out of that puke status. :p I'm convinced that everyone at Factor 5 never learned how to walk and they view the world through a VR-headset linked to a RC helicopter that flies behind them at all times.

If you want a REAL Star Wars Simulator, which shows all of these "arcade" kite-flying novelties for what they are, play this game!
    [​IMG]

<]=)

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I had some fun with Red Steel..I mean if I play it now, its terrible.

But its was so cool on launch day!

RE:UC are good...I've heard kind of a "meh review, and I'd say it was a little better then a "meh"

Advance Wars Days of Ruin was not an 8.0-8.6(which it goes general from the gaming media..it was a great game!

Yea, I had lots of fun with that...the mutliplayer was great!

I miss it now!

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The very first Grandia.

I don't care what anyone says, still the best RPG i've ever played. If it came out on the psp completely unaltered, I'd buy it.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

MechAssult, the original for the xbox. I loved that game. Perfect control of giant robot with and a destructible environment (one of the first games to do so i think). Live was a blast.

while some people loved it, a lot actually. I always found just as many or more of my friends / people i've talked to who hate it.

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Wouldn't that be Dig Dug! :p How about Rampage! Even Space Invaders! :D MA definitely was not the first, even in the 3D realm. :)

<]=)

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i loved that game. :) it was terribly fun if you ask me. the controls were great and it was just a 'fun' game. no gimmicks imo.

another game that i love is the XGRA game on gamecube. (donno if it was on others). i think its something about an insane race course with weapons thats just good.

11. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I remember when God of War first came out, my friends and I tried the demo and hated it. we were like wtf are we suppose to do. than i rented it on my own one day, and beat it, it was awesome! easily one of my favorite games of all time. but my friends didnt give it enough of a chance and hated it. I called them idiots and told them they were wrong, the game was to good for them :p

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't care what anyone says Otogi(xbox) and Siren(PS2) was awesome games.

oh and bloodryne(xbox)....it had its good moments(boobs in all)

Bless

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Ahh quite true, why didn't I think of dig dug :eek:

MA was the first game where you could bring down a building in 3D while controlling a kick-ass robot. I'm pretty sure dig-dug cant claim that. :D

14. pcypert macrumors 6502

I have some friends that absolutely love Boogie. I played it once and hat was enough.

I'd say Godfather for Wii is underrated slightly.

To me all of the Oddworld games were way underrated.

The first Bomberman for the DS was loads of fun for me for months.

I love RE:UC nothing bleh for me.

Paul

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Man, I loved that game. I wish they would release something comparable but using the power of modern systems.

16. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

A lot of people also loved it for its ability to softmod an Xbox. :D

17. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Damn! I'd completely forgotten about that game! I got started with MechWarrior 2 on the PC and really loved MW:A on the Xbox. Didn't FASA make that game? If so, we're unlikely to see a comparable new release, since MS shut down FASA.

Hehe - yeah. I really enjoyed the first play-through. Sure, I can see why it got panned, but I still reckon it was fun to play (once).

True, that. :)

18. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Metal Gear Solid 2 and its plot.

I really enjoyed it and the way it was presented, but for the longest time I couldn't explain why, until I read this excellent analysis that gave me a bigger appreciation for it.

Here is the analysis if anyone is interested: http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Only one I can think of recently is Dead Rising for 360.

I originally tried the demo and thought it was just ok, I didn't think it was a very deep game. Somehow my friends convinced me to buy it and initially I hated it. I couldn't understand what the plot was and I died all the time. Once I found out that your character keeps all the levels and skills he acquires each time you play it, I really got into it.

Once you understand that game and how the save system works, it really is a well thought out game. I've probably played through it 4 times now and am still working on acheivements.

I've let several friends borrow the game, and they all come back to me a week later saying they hated it. It's one of those games that is very confusing and hard in the beginning when your character is very weak. Once you level up a bit, it almost gets too easy but that allows you to just focus on the things you want to accomplish. I try to tell my friends that they won't be able to do everything in one play through, the game wasn't designed that way.

20. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Ok - a contemporary game I love but others hate:

'Space Giraffe' on Xbox Live Arcade.

It's a tough, tough game which you have to stick at to get anywhere... but eventually you 'feel' the game more than play it. Just like the best button-smashing arcade games, it turns into pure instinct and unthinking supernatural reaction. The sounds and visuals are mind-melting but, again, you just have to develop a sixth-sense for what it all means.

It's a highly polarizing game. Many (most?) dislike it. Many don't understand it (they expect to play it just like Tempest 2000 - and fail when they do). But some dream it -- and I have literally dreamed that game!

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I would buy it in a split second, even if it required a complete system upgrade. :)

I have this game running under DosBox. It runs great, I just need a good joystick again. My Logitiech I bought 5 years back is a cheap POS! I miss my old CH FlightStick Pro.

<]=)

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Wait!! Behold the CHEEEZE!!! :D I immidieatly thought of this giant robot 3D game -- which my friend owned;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReCuj-sCfPI

About 3/4th of the way ou'll see the destruction. :)

<]=)