Defender, Commuter, or CandyShell?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ammo, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Ammo macrumors regular

I'm finally joining the world of iPhones with my 4S. I just can't decide on what case to use.

I have a Defender for my Atrix (work phone) and part of me wants to get another Defender for the iPhone because I know the Defender works marvelously (I've dropped my Atrix several times). However, I keep the Atrix on the beltclip for work, the 4S will be in my pocket. I worry about the Defender being too bulky for my pocket.

I've been examining the CandyShell and the Commuter closely. I like the form factor of the CandyShell better, but I like the fact that the Commuter has Apple logo proudly displayed and I think the gel would have a little more shock absorption than the CandyShell's inner material.

Anyone ever done comparisons? What do you think?

2. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

the defender is great but pretty bulky.... i live by the commuter... its the best one ive ever had.. great protection and not as bulky..... i use this everyday... never had any experience with candyshell... hope this helps

3. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

The Defender is fine but I prefer the Survivor. More protection overall and tighter silicone so it works with pockets too.

The commuter is good but between that and the candyshell, I would go with the Candyshell. The newer versions don't have flaking issues, and other than it scratching really easily, it works fine. The silicone on the Commuter would stick in my pocket sometimes when I wore jeans. That wasn't too bad, but the silicone attracts all kinds of dust and dirt. Plus over the apple is open. You need a rear SP.

4. Ali., Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

Ali. macrumors member

I've used both the Defender and Commuter, but I liked using the Commuter a lot more.

Although the Defender is good at protecting your phone, the Commuter will do a better job at keeping it in pristine condition.

The problem I had with the Defender is that aside from the added bulk with the size, you get a lot of dust/dirt build up over time inside the case. Occasionally you can get small specs of the stuff in between the display and screen cover of the case which could potentially scratch the display.

The Commuter can be used in conjunction with your own choice of screen protector and the silicone is gentle on the device. Earphone and dock connection ports are covered leaving the mute switch, speakers and noise cancellation mic exposed...everything else is protected.

5. pcmike macrumors regular

pcmike

6. cole01 macrumors 6502

I had the commuter for my 4 and I can say that it has provided very good protection but for the 4S I ordered both as I liked the glaicer color in the defender to match my WHITE 4S, so it's only a matter of liking the contrast (black on white iPhone) or the white+grey case. :apple: Will post impressions.
    [​IMG]

7. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

at least narrow it down to commuter or candyshell. A coworker has the defender, it just looks obnoxiously bulky.

i really wish those sites posted dimensions so it was easier to compare.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Commuter has rubbery texture so it'll snag when you take in/take out of your pocket. Candyshell is smooth so it'll slide in/out of your pockets a lot easier. Candyshell also scratches really easily so your case won't be in pristine condition for long. Also, the Candyshell is a pain in the ass to take off. Not sure you're a case hoarder like some folks on here but, basically, once you put the phone in the Candyshell, it'll stay there unless you put forth the effort in taking it out of the case. The Commuter is more durable bcuz of the rubbery outer so it'll last longer. Really up to you if you want a durable case or one that looks nice (for a little while).

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is the OB Defender that I'm waiting for it to hit the stores, hopefully.

10. TazExprez macrumors member

I bought 2 4S OB Defender cases at a local AT&T store yesterday. The lady told me that they received them the night before. I told her about the 25% off that the AT&T online store is currently having on all accessories and she price matched them.

11. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I have no clue what you guys are talking about when it comes to the silicone on the Commuter. I've had 2 different ones over the last 2 years and not a single time has it "stuck" to my pockets, "grabbed" lint, etc. You all must have some loose/flimsy/dirty pockets if you're having this problem.

The best case on the market when it comes to protection vs. size. Bar none.

12. priesty macrumors newbie

Would like to know this myself, which is better the commuter or the speck candyshell? The defender has gone away from me due to me wearing slim jeans and I think it would be to bulky to put in my pocket. Would love to hear more opinions, Thanks.

13. neotope macrumors regular

I must prefer the Commuter. The Candyshell scratches way too easy. The back got scratched just from my finger being on it while talking. The Commuter holds up much better.

14. Trav29 macrumors member

I got the Defender for the 4S I received it today. The thing I like about it is, you can detach the belt clip and carry the case.