Defender vs survivor

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by frocco, Nov 5, 2011.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Anyone recommend a good case? Having trouble deciding.
    Also, is it better buying from putter box directly? I see their model # ends in B while others end in A. Makes me think there was a change.

I want protection, but not sure I would like the bulk vs naked iPhone 4s

2. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I'm a big fan of the Defender because I often want to wear my iPhone on a belt or shorts. The Defender comes with an excellent belt clip. I surveyed all the current protective iPhone cases and the Defender remains my #1 choice based on features and price. iLounge.com has excellent reviews of iPhone cases.

The Defender has color choices that competitors lack; this time I went with a red case while my wife got a purple case.

The Defender adds some weight and bulk just like any protective case but I like it. There is more to hold and I prefer the feel of silicone to cold glass when talking on my phone. And I can attest to the fact that the Defender protects an iPhone when it is dropped onto asphalt!

The new cases for the 4S use a less sticky silicone so dust and lint isn't a problem and the case is easier to slide into a pocket. The integrated screen protector has also been improved so there is no longer a problem with a greasy film on the interior of the protector.

Here is link for 25% off plus free shipping from ATT: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-sales/promotion/accessories.jsp

I purchased two Defenders at an ATT store on 10/7/11 and got a third for free. The store later credited my account for $25 when I e-mailed the sales rep the link and I was able to keep the free case. If the buy 2 get one free deal is still available you may be able to obtain the discount if you bring the link info along when you visit the store.

3. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

Thanks for the feedback.

I am on verizon, will the case still fit?

4. Mojo1, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I think that the 4S is the same design at all cell providers. Try searching on this forum or Google if you want to be sure.

The beltclip also works for attaching my iPhone to the cup holder in my 1994 Toyota 4X4. The cup holders are located near the top of the dashboard so I don't need to buy an iPhone bracket. Just be careful not to close the cup holder with the beltclip attached because it can be a b****h to get unstuck!

5. Walse macrumors member

I have had a few of these rugged cases and been through your position in deciding which to get. If your job isn't at all that rough but you would still prefer to have your phone protected when occasion arises, I propose to you the Seidio Convert. You get 2 case for the price of 1, not to mention the excellent belt-clip that comes with the package. It's actually a slider case that you put on your iPhone, then when needed an additional tough silicone skin over the first case, and then a polycarbonate exoskeletal spine over the silicone. Looks great, function great too. Great holster and nice packaged screen protector. :) I'm not marketing for them but I'm one of their users.

On the other hand, if your job is indeed rough then just get an otterbox since your phone is going to in the case all the time. :) Hope this helps.

6. Mojo1, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Here is the iLounge review of Seido Convert: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/seidio-innocase-rugged-holster-combo-for-iphone-4/

Their only quibble with it is that it lacks an integrated screen protector. The Convert reminds me of the 3GS Defender, particularly the beltclip design. One difference that I can see is that the new Defender beltclip allows the iPhone to be attached with the screen facing in or out; the Convert appears to be like the earlier Defender beltclip where the phone only attached facing inward when securely attached. But it's difficult to tell from the images and the copy doesn't say anything about it.

It would be nice if it came in other colors; I'm getting tired of basic black when it comes to protective cases. My wife wouldn't go for it; the purple Defender case won her over.

7. Walse macrumors member

You can face the convert screen out on the holster. No prob :)

8. mpossoff, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

mpossoff macrumors 68020

It depends on the roughness of your job. If the Sedio Rugged had a built in screen protector I would say that it would be the top on ruggedness/protection. The Griffin Survivor offers what the Sedio Rugged offers with a built in screen protector. Both cover all ports etc and both cover back camera/flash. So in regards of total ruggedness in my opinion the Survivor wins only because of a built in screen protector. Again if the Sedio Rugged had a built in protector I would say the Sedio is better because of the better holster clip and looks nicer. I guess since the iPhone is facing in and the screen isn't exposed it might not matter. In regards to drops it might matter without a built in screen protector.

The Defender doesn't offer as much protection as the Griffin Survivor and Sedio Rugged. But it offers protection. If the Defender had flap protection for rear camera flash it could match the Survivor and Rugged or come close because as it is the Decender offers good drop protection and it's thinner and fits the form if the iPhone more, making it more stylish with the Apple logo cut out. But that's not the Defenders class. It's not in same class of protection as the Survivor or Rugged. It offers less protection but doesn't mean it doesn't offer protection.

If I was a construction worker I would recommend the likes of the Survivor or Rugged because of the iPhone being protected better against elements and potential bumps since both cover everything including back camera/flash, and cover front proximity/ speaker area than the Defender. What I wish the Defender had was flap protection for the rear camera/ flash.

The Speck Candyshell in my opinion offers as good drop protection as the Defender believe or or not but lacks built in screen protector of course. The Defender is not much bigger than the Candyshell.

Why I use Defender...

1) I don't need the ruggedness of the Survivor or Sedio Rugged but I need ruggedness because of my work environment.

2) The new version of the Defender seems slimmer than the previous version.

3) the Defender is more stylish than the Survivor and Rugged. Cause it provides Apple logo cutout, is slimmer. It's a type of case since its more stylish that you can still rock on the weekends when you're not in your work environment. I have a white 4S in a black Defender and I like the style of the white showing from the back of Apple logo cutout and back camera flash and outlines of white from the front around the screen and front proximity sensor area. Just more stylish in that I can rock it with a pair of nice jeans and a nice button down flannel on weekends and it looks nice, with the white of Apple logo cutout showing and white of back camera flash showing.

4) I like the easy access of the holster clip on the Defender. However I like the holster clip of the Sedio Rugged, Sedio makes great holster clips. I still like the Defender's holster.

9. readerbreader macrumors regular

Having had both, i would take the survivor anyday. because of the shape of the silicone around the edges i feel much more secure having my iPhone 4s in it. i've niece had a problem keeping the silicone on the hard plastic of the survivor, a problem that plagued the Defender (how the silicone would always pull away form the edges)

The survivor is much less of a hassle, it's ports are easier to close, and stay closed, and the protection is the same if not better than the defender.

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The new Defenders use a different silicone that isn't as "tacky" so lint and dust are no longer a problem. It is also a lot less "stretchy" than the iPhone 4 case, so I don't anticipate there being a problem with the new case.

IMO the Defender is the sweet spot when it comes to protective cases. It's slimmer than the alternatives and it comes in a variety of colors while offering plenty of protection.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Right it's the sweet spot. Isn't the most protective but offers protection. And is more stylish of protective cases.

12. Walse macrumors member

Casemate TANK

Consider the TANK too if you are looking towards some serious protection. This one is from Casemate. The case design and concept was originally from Sharkeye Cases, their speciality is the retractable screen protector. Seriously Heavy Duty!