Defense against iPhone bashing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bocomo, Oct 17, 2010.

1. bocomo macrumors 6502

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

What a tool. Probably a bratwurst/Pabst induced rant. He can rave all he wants about his Palm Pre. I'll take an iPhone over that anyday ;)

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The OP of that thread doesn't specify which android phone he bought and to which iPhone he is comparing it too.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I've spent sometime playing with seeral droid platforms. Great platform, somewhat different but the same in many aspects to the iphone.
    Out of the box the Steve phone doesn't offer a whole lot of customization. The droid offers the user that, which is why I jailbreak, I simply don't care for the vanilla ios, though some do.

The iphone has one flavor where the droids have a number of selections.

I don't see that much hate in that thread. The jailbreak community puts a lot of effort into providing a lot of features/fuctions found stock on other phones.

If you have the opp to test drive a droid for more than 10 minutes you may enjoy it.

There is no way a 3G can out perform the newer droids. The 3G, even un jailbroken, lags compared to the newer phones.

5. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

predictably, it's turned into a "macs suck and are over priced" rant

this guy even claims windows is more secure than mac

6. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I'm willing to bet he's right. The only reason Mac users "don't get viruses" is because there's so few of them out there that they hardly pose any threat at all. But if an equal amount existed for macs as they do for windows, all hell would break loose.

8. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

that's known as the market share myth

mac os8 and 9 both had viruses and even smaller market share

someone pointed out in another thread that the amiga had lots of viruses and a tiny marketshare (that one was before my time ;)

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You'd probably lose that bet. While it's true that market share might be an issue, we're now seeing significant rises in Apple sales, and yet no similar rise in actual, in the wild viruses.

The OS X security model is rooted in UNIX, which is far different from the inherently flawed security model that Windows has stubbornly kept and only mildly patched over for decades.

Maiffret needs to put his money where his mouth is and point out some practical, dangerous vulnerabilities if he's that worried about Apple. He's probably more worried that he's become part of an economy that preys on fear: he can't earn a paycheck if you're comfortable that your system is safe. As a result, while some of his statements are partly based on truths, you still have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

At any rate: back to the original question. Usually when I'm encountered by a fandroid, I just shrug them off and point out that my phone works for me, I've tried Android phones and they just don't work as well for my needs. If they are happy with their Android phone, great! Good for them. They don't need my approval to keep using their phone, and I'm not seeking their approval to keep using mine. And whether they like it or not, Apple has helped shaped their platform, from multi-touch gestures down to the default webkit-based web browser, and Apple will continue to be here for quite some time.

If someone has to constantly rattle off specs and recite why their device is so much better than what you're using, then it's because they're trying to convince not you, but themselves that's it's true.

They're doing what they do because they want to be assured that they made the right choice, and seek to feel better by rattling off specs. At the end of the day though, specs mean little as long as the device does what you need with a minimum of fuss or hassle. For me, the iPhone does just that... Android, does not. That may not be the case for everyone, but it is for me.

10. jayo123456 macrumors regular

11. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

+1

12. cipher29 macrumors regular

cipher29

Sorry but where do you get your facts from? I can tell you for a fact there is a significant rise in MacOSX malware.. I work for a large Anti-Virus company and speaking with our malware engineers and threat researchers on a daily basis I can tell you that you are 100% INCORRECT.

First off, your comments about the security model rooted in UNIX may be correct, but, please understand that Unix is not necessarily "More Secure" of an operating system than "Windows" and I hardly think Windows has been "mildly" patched... With Windows having 49 patches released just last week alone, I hardly call that a "mild" patch. Just because Unix does not have as many found vulnerabilities doesn't mean it is less prone to them; it simply means the bad guys aren't spending the time on it..

Simply put, cybercriminals are attacking windows because of the user base and nothing more. The more endpoints they can get malware on (such as koobface or zeus botnet software) the better. Keep in mind malware these days is designed to STEAL information not destroy computers. They seek to steal credit card numbers, banking information and personal information.

If the cybercriminals wrote this type of data stealing malware for *nix environments they likely wouldn't get a lot of information as there is not a large user base surfing websites from a Unix operating system... Further to that, the ones that are using Unix based OS's generally are more savvy and less likely to fall for the tricks that generally gets malware on the devices in the first place.

In the last couple years we have seen a HUGE increase in data stealing malware for macs as the user base increases. This is becoming even more of an issue because people have the false sense of security that their macs do not need internet security software. I would suggest that a majority of users out there when prompted for their "root" password during an install of software still enter it even when malware is trying to install as the user's are simply ignorant to what is happening.

Speaking with our threat researchers we are actually seeing a lot of activity on all devices connecting to the Internet that have the ability to deal with a CC number or login credentials (eg. AppleTV's, PS3's etc).

Here's a scary statistic for you... Our organization see's a new unique variant of malware every 1.5 seconds!

Do your research on malware before spreading even more false sense of security ...

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

... remember what I said about taken what's said with a grain of salt? The scary language being perpetrated in this post is a text book example. Classic FUD to sell software.

Fortunately there are free, non-bloatware, effective tools out there for Mac Users to run scans if they so desire, as well they should. One example is ClamXAV.

It should be noted though that again, the vast bulk of what this and other AV tools do is seek out and clean Windows based threats. Even as a Mac user, there's a risk of being a carrier of infected files if one work regularly with word documents and other files that are used to collaborate cross-platform. A so-infected file might not affect the mac user, but could affect a Windows user that you pass the file on to.

"May" be correct? You're the guy who works for the large anti-virus company... is it or isn't it? If you have the knowledge you CLAIM to have on the topic, then you'd be able to refute or agree with the statement, instead of using weasel words.

14. cipher29 macrumors regular

cipher29

I agree there is a lot of "scareware" our there, but, keep in mind there is more than just catching a binary file as well... The bad guys are seeking out to stealing your information.. Keeping people from going to the bad sites all together is critically important...

Regardless of the Internet Security vendor you use, ensure they have a form of Web Reputation... The good vendors will generally provide this for free if you go to their site.

Facts are facts... Crybercrime is now a $100 billion dollar industry...

15. stuffradio macrumors 65816

That's funny... because it's true. The most unsecure part of any computer is its end user. Steve Jobs spends little to no time in security for the mac. Sure, you get little updates from time to time saying "Security update"... but that could mean anything.

Microsoft has done far more in 5 years than Apple has in 20 in terms of Security. Does that mean Macs are less vulnerable? Not necessarily... it just means that Microsoft has done more to become more secure. Get over it, it's pure fact.

Getting back to the main point, who cares about iPhone bashing. It's all about your perspective and your experience with it. Not everyone will like the iPhone... some people will like a Windows phone or Blackberry or Android more. Your opinion is the only thing that matters.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It means they've put more effort into it in the past 5 years because they've had to.

It should also be noted that OS X has only been in production for 9 years, with all security work on the previous platform not really having any bearing or use on the current one. You can't put 20 years into OS X security when the framework hasn't been around for even half that amount of time. Again, this statement is just more vague FUD.

17. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I know they had to, now you're turning this into a Microsoft bashing game.

I also didn't say OS X... I said Mac. Your post is FUD the way you're trying to turn me into someone saying OS X has been around for 20 years. There is no hidden message in what I said except Microsoft has been doing a way better job in Security the last 5-10 years than Apple for whatever reason regardless if they were forced to or not.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm just laying out the facts, that's all.

And macs from 10 years ago had a different, binary incompatible and way inferior OS model than the current system. You cannot lump the two together and say the efforts are one and the same.

Do you even know what FUD is?

Of course not. The message is loud and clear.

19. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I don't think so, don't you think it's the company/software engineers responsibility to take knowledge from past products on what went wrong or what went right to develop future products? If so, how could the previous Security work having no bearing on the OS X Security be responsible?

Anyways, agreeing that Microsoft had to improve Security, can you not agree with me now that Microsoft has done way more than Apple has in the last 5-10 years? That was my only point before you started going rampant on me.

Sure I do, I used it correctly because of the Disinformation you were saying about me saying OS X was around for 20 years. I didn't say that. So your post was FUD.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, I do. But that doesn't mean that specific fixes on the old framework will work as-is on the new.

If it make you feel better.... well, actually, no, I can't agree. Not without specifically defining what "doing more" means, and hard data to back up the definitions. Otherwise we can only make generalities and assumptions.

Does "doing more" mean they put out more fixes? Okay, then sure. More effective fixes? If so, then... maybe. Does "doing more" mean re-writing the foundation from scratch instead of just patching over old vulnerabilities built on really old code? If so, then no, I don't know of anyone who can get behind that and then truly respect themselves after saying it.

Methinks you need to grow a thicker skin. Shall we not derail this thread any further?

21. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Sure.

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins