Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which clipboard function do you prefer?

• Define

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Look Up

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm sorry but "Look Up" instead of "Define" is just dumb.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb dumb dumb.

Whenever I read it, it reads like a command. "Look up, lift your head up."

I mean, who thought of this? Who thought this was a good idea?

I tried to ignore it, but it just became too much for me. I don't want to look it up, I want to Define it.

If you highlight a word and choose "define" you get a dictionary definition of the word. If you highlight a sentence or more than 1 word you "look it up" . How hard is this to understand?

Reactions: teddybearstand

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
If you highlight a word and choose "define" you get a dictionary definition of the word. If you highlight a sentence or more than 1 word you "look it up" . How hard is this to understand?
I personally don't care either way, but for me whether you select a word or several words, it still says "look up"

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I'm less concerned with the name change and more concerned with the fact look up is a POS. I miss easy and simple definitions. I never seem to get the definition of a word anymore. Just search results, irrelevant news articles and such. Drives me nuts as I used this often. It's also ugly now, with that hideous translucent background.

Reactions: freepomme

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
I'm less concerned with the name change and more concerned with the fact look up is a POS. I miss easy and simple definitions. I never seem to get the definition of a word anymore. Just search results, irrelevant news articles and such. Drives me nuts as I used this often. It's also ugly now, with that hideous translucent background.
can i see a screenshot of what you're seeing? "Look Up" just shows the dictionary definition and an additional button for "search web" (though i do see what you mean about the background)

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
can i see a screenshot of what you're seeing? "Look Up" just shows the dictionary definition and an additional button for "search web" (though i do see what you mean about the background)

Attachments

• IMG_0112.PNG
    IMG_0112.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0111.PNG
    IMG_0111.PNG
    770.3 KB · Views: 183

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....But it is MORE than define. Not only do you get the definition you get other things like Wikipedia, suggested websites, App Store, Maps, Music, etc.

Define does NOT define all of this. It is more of a Lookup.

Last edited:

thebro20

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
I see. That's controlled by settings --> general --> spotlight search --> suggestions in look up (enable / disable accordingly)
[doublepost=1477004244][/doublepost]

When I do this and turn it off, instead of the extra stuff I was getting (no definition either), I just get nothing but the search web button

Reactions: freepomme

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
When I do this and turn it off, instead of the extra stuff I was getting (no definition either), I just get nothing but the search web button
do you have any dictionaries selected in:
settings --> general --> dictionary

?

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
That big distracting Look Up button is just waiting to be accidentally pressed when you're trying to use the clipboard.

[doublepost=1477102534][/doublepost]
....But it is MORE than define. Not only do you get the definition you get other things like Wikipedia, suggested websites, App Store, Maps, Music, etc.

Define does NOT define all of this. It is more of a Lookup.

All of that inside the clipboard? No wonder clipboard causes safari to freeze. No I just wanted that dictionary. Not to surf the web from the freaking clipboard. That's what safari is for.

Apple is terrible at search. They need to stop. If I wanted all that information I could just "look it up" anywhere in Safari. I'm not trying to open up more webpages I just wanted define. This is uncalled for.

I haven't actually LOOKED UP anything from the clipboard, not even once. NOT ONCE.
[doublepost=1477102959][/doublepost]
Which is completely crazy

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have suggestions turned off in Spotlight too and didn't realize the wording changed until you mentioned it. It's only slightly wider than Define.

I'd use suggestions if third-party apps could take advantage of them.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I don't see what the issue is.

Isn't "look up" just the same as "define", but with extra stuff that can be disabled.

The extra stuff seems useful to me. For example, for looking up a person or a place.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Really that bad, look up? I think that is a great idea.
And, Apple puts defenition at top at all times when they find one.
On the contrary, definition only defines stuff and if there is nothing found just show "nothing". Well.

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
But yet nobody has used Look Up for anything.... as they have not stated it.

So it can't be a good idea.

People are just voting for it because it's new. Even though they don't use it. If Apple changed it back to Define, they would vote for that.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I use it, there's more parity with Mac OS three finger tap look up now, it's a positive change

I'm not in love with the UI but the broader functionality is good

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
People are just voting for it because it's new. Even though they don't use it. If Apple changed it back to Define, they would vote for that.
Really? People do vote a while for new stuff but only people thinking that is a good idea would vote to keep it later, unless that one is an Apple fanatic.
Plus, I would not vote if apple changes it back to define.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.