Defining updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Sep 2, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

What is the difference in updates, iphone or anything else really, when the numbers are 1.x versus 1.0.x? Does the placement of the "x" number mean something different if it's after the first decimal or the second decimal?

I notice on all sorts of things (iphone, software, etc) that there are more 1.0.x updates than there are 1.x updates.

2. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Usually 1.x updates are more substantial than 1.x.x updates. Normally 1.x.x updates are to fix minor bugs etc. where as 1.x updates sometimes add features and address bigger stability issues etc.

Also 1.x.x updates are more common and often. For example the 1st Gen iPhone has gone up to 1.1.6. So as you can tell, there are more 1.x.x updates (6) than 1.x updates (1); in the case of the 2G iPhone.

snverhallen

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I don't think there are any hard and fast 'rules' about it, just how significant the developer thinks the upgrade is. Total reworkings are X.0, major revisions to those are X.1, X.2, less major changes/updates are X.2.1, X.2.2, etc. I think that's all there is to it.

4. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ahhh, i see. thanks for the clarification on it. :)