Defining updates?

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
What is the difference in updates, iphone or anything else really, when the numbers are 1.x versus 1.0.x? Does the placement of the "x" number mean something different if it's after the first decimal or the second decimal?

I notice on all sorts of things (iphone, software, etc) that there are more 1.0.x updates than there are 1.x updates.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
What is the difference in updates, iphone or anything else really, when the numbers are 1.x versus 1.0.x? Does the placement of the "x" number mean something different if it's after the first decimal or the second decimal?

I notice on all sorts of things (iphone, software, etc) that there are more 1.0.x updates than there are 1.x updates.
Usually 1.x updates are more substantial than 1.x.x updates. Normally 1.x.x updates are to fix minor bugs etc. where as 1.x updates sometimes add features and address bigger stability issues etc.

Also 1.x.x updates are more common and often. For example the 1st Gen iPhone has gone up to 1.1.6. So as you can tell, there are more 1.x.x updates (6) than 1.x updates (1); in the case of the 2G iPhone.

snverhallen

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle

I don't think there are any hard and fast 'rules' about it, just how significant the developer thinks the upgrade is. Total reworkings are X.0, major revisions to those are X.1, X.2, less major changes/updates are X.2.1, X.2.2, etc. I think that's all there is to it.