iPad Defining words on iPad - "No Definition Found"?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by myrtlebee, Feb 16, 2014.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Today, on my iPad mini, when I select a word by highlighting it and press "define" I am greeted with this message where the definition of a word is supposed to be: "no definition found".

I have already pressed the "manage" button and selected the "Apple Dictionary" to download. However after it says it has downloaded, I get the same problem.

Curiously, when I select another dictionary -- say, the English New Oxford American Dictionary, it fixes the problem and I can see a word's definition.

I have two questions:

Is anyone else experiencing this "no definition found" with only the "Apple Dictionary" selected?

When going to the manage menu and selecting a dictionary to download, is that taking up space on my device (iPad)?
    Usually the define feature has worked for me without ever having to select a dictionary to download, so this is strange.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes!!!!!!!!! This happens on all my iOS devices. I'm going to I download that one keyboard you just said. It sucks that you can't get the apple keyboard. Probably just an iOS 7 bug.

3. Salvor Hardin macrumors regular

The Apple Dictionary only has definitions for Apple products.

4. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

What? You mean dictionary?

Oh - that would explain it. Thanks.

I guess the regular dictionary just wasn't selected because my iPad mini is new. But, I never had to download a dictionary for an iOS device before. It would usually just work when I selected "define". Maybe it's an iOS 7 thing.

5. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

Its not a bug. It just give you an option on whether you want to download a dictionary or not.

6. myrtlebee, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Then how come it just now became an option whereas before all you had to do is press define and it worked? Now you have to download a dictionary? Again, I am curious - when it "downloads" is it then taking up space on the device?

Edit: Nevermind the last question- I just figured it out by downloading, checking my storage, deleting it, then checking again and, indeed, downloading a dictionary does take up 0.1 GB of space since it allows you to define words offline. Pretty lame -- I wish it would simply look up the definitions via wifi since wifi is always on on my iPad.

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

On the screen where you get the definition you have the option of searching the web... Just don't download a dictionary and use that option, no?

8. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

No, that doesn't cut it. Opening a new window (or, if you are not in Safari, a new app) takes the whole point away from the define feature because it is intended to be a quick-look without taking you away from what you're reading or doing.

9. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Hold down for Siri and ask her?

10. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

That could be an option in some situations, yes. I don't really use Siri, though, because it would, like your first suggestion, take me away from what I am doing and open a new window or app, and I cannot talk out loud to Siri in most situations I do my work (in offices and formal library settings, etc). Besides, half of the words I want to define I have no idea how to pronounce in the first place.

Just wish the define feature would utilize wifi, or at least have the option to do so. For the moment, I will download a dictionary that takes up .1 GB of space.