DEFINITELY ordering an MBP on the 14th - Let's try and project the wait time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jlevi, Oct 9, 2008.

1. jlevi macrumors member

I remember when the MBA came out, SJ said that it would be about 2 weeks before the first orders shipped...

Considering that I've been waiting for a redesign of the MBP since, oh, JANUARY... and am just now about to buy my first Mac (I know, I know), how long do people think it will be before the new MBP's arrive stateside into our hot little hands?

Surely there is no way they will ship within 24h, right? :D

Thanks in advance!

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I applaud your enthusiasm!! Gratz on the new purchase ... your timing appears to me impeccable.
    :):apple:

3. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I would say it would ship in two weeks if you order one of the preconfigured. If you custom build one probably 4 weeks.

I'm glad to hear your excited! Macs are amazing(at least I think so) I have been using them for years and apple only improves the experience.

And just as a warning with being a first time buyer. With any newly redesigned car, computer, tv the first product revision might have defects. Now of course apple would take care of any issues you might have. I have bought the first revisions of apple products before and have never had any issues. Just make sure to buy apple care. Apple care is the only extended warrenty I buy.

I hope you love your new mac!

4. seedd macrumors newbie

how about buying one in stores? What would be normal time to expect until the normal retail stores release the updates?

5. mustangsally82 macrumors member

Will there be a wait time? I've never bought a product on the day of release, but is it impossible to hope that they will be available on the 14 in stores?

6. JW008 macrumors 6502

Since this is all speculation, I'll throw in my two cents...

Why schedule an event for an arbitrary date and announce they'll be available two weeks later? Why not wait two weeks, have the event, and announce immediate availability?

Immediate availability was true for the iPod event (with the exception of the 16GB nano, which some think was a last-minute addition) and I'm guessing it will be true here as well.

I know the MacBook Air was announced and didn't go on sale for two weeks, but that's a different situation. Since the date for Macworld couldn't change (it's a date and time that was set well in advance), Apple had to announce a later availability.

Just speculation on my part, but if they're planning on releasing them in late October, why not just schedule the event for then? Especially since it looks like it's JUST going to be notebooks.

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Apples pretty smart.

If you get the low end or high end without custom ordering i would say 3 days to a week.:apple:

8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

mmmm yeah I would say 3-5 days till it should arrive at the apple stores. They will arrive first to the people on the west coast and then the upper part of the east coast two days later with the Midwest in between 4-5 days.

Just call your apple store after the annoucement and ask. And call every day until they arrive lol

9. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

isn't there supposed to be a new chip or graphics card or whatever coming out on the 15th? Why would they release a new laptop the day before a new chip comes out...?

10. jlevi thread starter macrumors member

Whoa... 4 weeks? Not ok!
    I am going to order a custom one, not pre-built... I'm really hoping the 3-5 days predictions are right. I know Dell ships laptops direct from China, hopefully apple does too, because I want my mac! :)

11. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Don't buy RAM and HD's from Apple!

12. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

It is going to take roughly 3 to 5 years for you to receive your new laptop. Kidding, it will be sent when it is shipped, and you will receive it when it is delivered. There's no point in fretting about it.

13. jlevi thread starter macrumors member

Why's that?

14. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Because they're way overpriced. You can get the same quality HDD and RAM from third party vendors as you can from Apple, for a lot less.

15. StevnJ9971 macrumors member

According to someone in the MacBook forum (can't find the exact thread now), the Apple Stores already have boxes marked "Do not open until the 14th." I don't know how accurate that statement is, but if it's true then don't expect to wait :cool:

16. jTreu macrumors 6502

hopefully these will be available the 14th, if i have to wait even longer than i already have ill go nuts.

17. jlevi thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't swap the HD myself b/c it violates warranty, but I'll look into maybe upgrading the RAM myself... though truthfully I'd rather just have Apple do it all so that I can play with the computer right out of the box ;)

I will ask my friend who works at an apple store about the mysterious boxes... but yeah... I probably will still have to order to get the edu discounts etc. If you buy CS4 at the same time as an EDU discount computer, you get the whole thing for $249!!!!

18. mustangsally82 macrumors member

Really? Which version of CS4?

19. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

What makes you so sure that Apple is introducing new Macbook Pros? While I doubt they won't, there is a chance that they will just update the Macbooks and introduce something new like the tablet. There is a slight chance that the MBP updates will come later. That would suck.

20. dryJ macrumors newbie

well i have been waiting since July to buy a MBP and last Thursday I took the plunge, reckoning that if they were going to announce it they would have done. When I look at the receipt, you can clearly see that the announcement posted here on MacRumors happened to be within about 10 mins of my purchase.
    I am not particularly pleased at the timing, but I finally have my MBP, so it's time to get some serious work done :D

21. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I wonder what the new boxes will look like...

22. Britvolante macrumors newbie

Ordering also on 14th!

Yep, I'm ordering mine on the 14th too, though through my local reseller. They are pretty good, and supply most of the design agencies around here. Really looking forward to it!:D

23. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

You can return it to Apple before you open it.

24. jlevi thread starter macrumors member

Sooo I wonder if I have to wait till 10AM to order or if they'll update the website at midnight - I am away from the office all day on Tuesday :(

Who else is ordering first thing? My business partner and I are both ordering the minute they come out, haha.

25. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I seem to remember a line from these forums.

"Steve Jobs loves to say, 'ships today.'"