Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galloman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Monterrey, Mexico
Hi folks,

I had posted last week that my Macbook did not recognized my Mac partition and that it wouldn't let me reinstall the OSX as it gives me no option as where to install it. I already ran the hardware test and the results told me that the hardware was fine. For further details you can go here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/303550/

I took it to an Apple Authorized center in the city and I called them up today and they confirmed what I just typed. So, they offer me to completely format my computer to get it fixed but they claim that it is a software problem they have to charge me for it, regardless that the machine is still under warranty.

I'm supposed to talk to the manager tomorrow to see if he can help; anyhow, I doubt that it is worth paying around 50 bucks to get the computer formatted when it is something I figured I could do by myself. The thing is, I'm not sure of how to do it properly so if you could please tell me how can I properly format my Macbook by myself without having trouble or if I really need to go ahead and pay these guys to have it fixed ??

thanks a lot

Jan 30, 2006
If Disk Utility can't detect the partition, then it must be more difficult to format it. Not sure if there is another form of doing it.

But the Apple Store must help you without charging you.

galloman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Monterrey, Mexico
If Disk Utility can't detect the partition, then it must be more difficult to format it. Not sure if there is another form of doing it.

But the Apple Store must help you without charging you.

unfortunately there isn't an Apple store nearby. I went to the most authrized Apple place around, and they told me that those instructions come directly from Apple, which I really doubt. Do you have a phone number where I can call to confirm with Apple, or have them send me a box to send in the computer or something like that ??

Jan 30, 2006
unfortunately there isn't an Apple store nearby. I went to the most authrized Apple place around, and they told me that those instructions come directly from Apple, which I really doubt. Do you have a phone number where I can call to confirm with Apple, or have them send me a box to send in the computer or something like that ??

I don't have the booklet right now, but you must have a booklet with the phones of Apple of any country.
Search your country and call there. Or you could search in Apple.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.