Definitive answer on availability of ordered phones from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjandnw, Jul 11, 2008.

1. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Does anyone know the answer to this:

Customer orders an iPhone3g today at AT&T store
    Customer is told phone will arrive at store for activation and pick up within 7 days
    Customer is told the order cannot be cancelled.
    When new iphones arrive tomorrow, can the customer's order be fulfilled with the new shipment

or

Are new shipments for NEW walkin buyers and the customer must wait until "HIS" specific ordered phone" arrives?

I've heard both are possible.

2. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

3. DanielQ macrumors member

I ordered mine - paid $15 extra for 3-5 day shipping. I was told it would arrive in 3-5 days.

I was also told that if they get a shipment tomorrow that I cannot get one of those iphones, only the one they ordered specifically for me. it sucks, but this way I'm guaranteed to get one.

Does this answer your question?

4. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I was told as well. Thank you
    I was wondering, if they get new ones in; can you cancel the order and buy one?

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

so did they order it through direct fulfillment ? If so have you checked your orders status ? Are they shipping the phone to you or to the store and you have to pick it up.

I did the same thing minus the $15 shipping charge and my order status says Back ORdered.

6. DanielQ macrumors member

Er... I'm not sure - what's the difference between direct fulfillment and backorder?

They're shipping it to the store and they'll email me when they get it. They'll still have to activate it and whatnot.

I did check my order status with the confirmation number I received via email a few hours ago and it said something like order not found/not shipped yet. However, I used the same link in my email just now to double check and it says page cannot be found. :/ I can no longer check my order status.

7. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

It took a few hours to find my order status from the email. It says back ordered.

There is some discussion here also:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=517976

I think the big question is, if the AT&T store gets available phones in before your order ships...can you cancel the transaction and buy one in the store. Your credit card is not charged until the order ships based on their email.

8. codawg81 macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with the AT&T store where

I did my order and this is the case. I wouldn't be so mad if I did not pretty much ask this question before I did my order. I was told that my phone would get in before any general shipment that they would get. I don't think this is going to be the case.

9. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

Encouraging, but doubtful as you allude.