definitive answer on battery calibration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanmania, Jul 13, 2008.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

i've been reading through some battery threads and have seen lots of discussion but can't seem to get a grip on the overall consensus. can anyone provide a definitive guide to calibrating the iphone 3G battery and how to get the most battery life? (battery only, not turning off 3G, etc)

i read frequent charges for li-ion are better for full discharges, but for the first time should i let it die down all the way or what? do i need to let it fully discharge every 30 days like i've read you should do for laptops, or is this not the case w/ the iphone?

thanks!

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Dude your making this a lot harder then it is. There is no calibration for the iPhone battery. Since lithium ion batteries do not remember charge points you do not need to calibrate anything. The whole point of calibrating on a Macbook (pro) is for the battery gauge and nothing else. It is not for the battery. Now yes a battery is meant to be used and one charge cycle is recommended per month. God knows how someone would have only once cycle per month... The less charge cycles a battery goes through the better. So in essence just keep it plugged in as much as possible. Again, "recalibrating" is just for "fuel gauge" not for the battery. Lithium ion batteries do not like deep cycles. Just keep the thing plugged in.

Really very simple.

3. manhattanmania thread starter macrumors regular

you could have said that with much less attitude. and being that there are several threads with several pages of this discussion, clearly im not the only one confused. get over yourself.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

last night i let it go to a little under 10%

let it charge over night starting around midnight and i believe i unplugged it around 7:30AM, sent/received maybe a dozen emails, went on the web for a little while. played a game for like 5minutes, and showed my sister the gps, which took a little while to find me in my house. i have 3g on all the time. my yahoo is on push, and my gmail is on fetch every 15min and as of right now about 8 hours later, the battery is still more than half probably around 70%.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

Wow, a New Yorker bitching about attitude? I've seen it all.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it soon if you hang around here long.

6. manhattanmania thread starter macrumors regular

relevant, really. forget i asked. this forum has become people who love to criticize each other instead of help each other out and ask questions. wtfever.

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

What are you getting upset about? I just said you are making it harder then it is... Anyway time you grow up. If what I said gets under your skin can't immagine how your going to deal with what others say. Don't be so sensitive. ;)