definitive answer on TRIM with Samsung EVO SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btownguy, Oct 28, 2013.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

My apologies if this has been answered. I have searched and yes, there are lots of threads with discussion. However, I am not seeing a ratio of yes/no answers that leads me to a conclusive answer hence my posting of this question.

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro. Just received a Samsung EVO 250 Gb SSD that I will be doing a clean install of Mavericks on. I am trying to determine if I should enable TRIM or not. I know the Samsung does have Garbage Collection. What say ye?

/crosses fingers that the answers don't come in 50% yes and 50% no...

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are not going to get a definitive answer.

Just understand that not running TRIM will not hurt the drive. All that MIGHT happen is write speeds could slow down over time due to heavy usage and no TRIM. If that ever does happen you can install the TRIM hack, boot to single use mode and run the command "fsck -fy" (without the quotes) and that will TRIM all unused blocks and restore write speeds to like new.

Many posters here use the TRIM hack without issue. I tend to be a little more conservative and I don't like the idea of hacking around in system kext files, but that's just me.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I, on the contrary, am a firm believer that running it with TRIM will reduce the write amplification.
    Also, the KEXT hack is nothing more than replace the string 'APPLE SSD' inside with all zeroes. As such, it seems to affect only the string matching algorithm inside the driver and makes any product name string make a match.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's true, TRIM does reduce write amplification, but I have not seen any tests where there was enough of a difference to matter. These SSDs will last 10-20 or more years under normal usage.

See there OP... you are not going to get a definitive answer. :)

5. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm surprised Samsung doesn't have an official stance on this.

6. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually called Samsung just for kicks. The guy I got recommended turning TRIM on for any SSD. He did us the word "personally", so I'm not sure if this is an official Samsung stance or just his opinion.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well, you basically get the same Samsung SSD in all new MacBooks (except if your lottery draw gave you Toshiba or SanDisk drive), same controller, same NAND chips, just different form factor and connector.
    And if it's in MacBook from factory, it has TRIM enabled.