definitive fix for rMBP case creak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forgetcolor, Dec 22, 2013.

1. forgetcolor macrumors member

I went through four haswell rMBPs to get one with a good screen. I finally got one, but this one has a case that creaks constantly. It's driving me crazy! I've searched threads on this and found lots of people talking about possible fixes, including loosening the screws, tightening the screws, taking the bottom plate off and placing paper between the battery segments, putting silicon on the bottom plate edges, etc. However, there's rarely a definitive report as to whether this worked for more than a day or so.

Does anyone have a technique they've used to successfully fix this annoyance?

I tried to pull the bottom plate off myself, but my ifixit pentalobe 5 bit broke trying to loosen one of the screws, so I've got a new one on the way. Thought i'd ask while waiting.

2. yangchewren macrumors regular

Perhaps you can consider bumping these threads up or PMing the users on the outcome of their fixes a few months down?

I've used the blue loctite fix myself and it works wonders. No creaking on my rMBP (few months) and MBA (2 years 6 mths).

3. aiyaaabatt, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Find a type of thin, flat, foamy material (often used with packaging), or thicker (such as 3x5 flash-card) paper works fine too, but not as well. After removing the backplate - cut it and fold it into a small square, taping one piece each over the speakers (left and right), and do the same with two more pieces over the highest points of the battery (symmetrically). I have done this 4 times to seperate 15'' rMBP's and it has 100% fixed all creaking issues every time.

The folded material should be big enough to help close the gap from the backplate to the macbook, but not big enough to where you have difficulty screwing the backplate back on because it is too tight. Experiment with this until you find a solution that works to eliminate creaking. But, if done correctly, it has worked for me 100% of the time... even on machines that had terrible creaking on the sides and palm-rest areas.